BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
papajackx
Fluorite | Level 6

I am on lesson 7 which is "Reading from spreadsheet and database data" and keep encountering Orionx and sales.xls and wish to know where there are from as I cannot find them on SAS studio. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

The data sets used with the training materials should be referenced as to a source or code to build them in the introduction or set up instructions.

papajackx
Fluorite | Level 6

how do i build this code or reference them as you have stated

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think ballardw is telling you to check the instructional materials. Usually in Chapter 1 there is a section that describes how to access the sample data sets and files. They might be in a ZIP file that you need to unzip onto your local drive, or they might be accessible from the lab machines where the class is being taught.

papajackx
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the information. I did that initially and that is what I have used to study the other lessons (1 through 6). Unfortunately I do not see where I can find these other code to assign to the library. I will keep looking.

Reeza
Super User
You somehow posted an entirely new thread....
PremS
Obsidian | Level 7

You should be able to run the CRE8DATA.SAS program under the folder containing all your course files to recreate the program.  Could you submit that program?  You should get no warnings or errors, so let us know if that works for you.

If you do get any warnings or errors, could you attach that log?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

There are 2 versions of Programming 1 out in the world. (And this article https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-data-for-Programming-1-and-Prog... has screen shots of the 2 different Table of Contents.)

The original version has 11 lessons and used the ORION data for the course. The newest version has 7 lessons and uses the PG1 data (storm, weather and national park data) for the course. So much of this forum is dedicated to the newest Programming 1 class. In the original Programming 1 e-learning class, you had to run a program that you opened from INSIDE the course. Prem mentioned a program called "cre8data.sas" but that is the program that we used in the classroom version of the classes, not the e-learning version of the class.

When you are taking the original class and you get to the chapter on reading Excel files, there is a note in the exercises that tell you to write sample code and compare your sample code to the solution. But you are also instructed NOT to run the code. Please see these previous Forum postings: https://communities.sas.com/t5/General-SAS-Programming/Unable-to-access-quot-Sales-xls-quot-file-in-... and https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Lesson-7-Reading-Spreadsheet-and-Database-Data-I-am-n... (has a screen shot from the course you're taking).

If you want to switch to the newest Programming 1, then we have reworked the content so that you can use the XLSX engine instead of PC File Server to read the Excel files. However, you cannot use the original ORION data with the new PG1 data -- so you'd need to switch over to the new course. If you're in Lesson 7, you are more than halfway through the original Programming 1. So whether you want to switch at this point is up to you.

The bottom line is that in the original course, we did NOT provide the Excel files if you were following instructions for an interface where we KNEW that you might not have the PC File Server helper files installed.

If you do decide to activate the newest Programming 1, go here: https://support.sas.com/edu/elearning.html?ctry=us&productType=library and click on the orange "Start Now" button for Programming 1.

Hope this helps clarify that if you are taking the course that uses ORION data, then you are using the original Programming 1 course, not the newest Programming 1 course.

Cynthia

papajackx
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you very much Cynthia. That is very helpful. I tried assigning the excel files but kept receiving the message "Orion does not exist". I guess I will start the new class.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Two things: 1) you should NOT try to use the Excel files, it is likely they were not provided to you for the reasons stated in the 2 posting links I provided and 2) If you get a message that ORION does not exist it usually means that the setup program with &PATH was not submitted, as per the instructions.

I do like the new course, but the setup for that course also needs to be done and you also need to run a program to make the datasets. I suggest you read some of the previous postings and watch the videos about making data in the new course.

Cynthia

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation