BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Is it possible to mix data step RWI and proc outputs going to the same ODS destination?  I'm using the absolute method in a data step RWI but want to populate some of the regions with proc-produced graphics.  The structure of the RWI in the data step suggests 'no' since the entire container must be defined.

Thanks!

--Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Ben:
I am using ODS LAYOUT and ODS REGION, but my RWI call is a single datastep within the larger ODS statements. So I did not have to retrieve any images, they were inserted as they were created. This may not work for you. The References at the end of my paper have a lot of other papers. I think you will want to look at the O'Connor papers and one of them, had an absolute layout example.

cynthia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

The following code could give you some hint.

data _null_;

file print;

set sashelp.class;

put _all_;

run;

proc print data=sashelp.class;run;

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
It depends on what you mean by mixing the PROC steps and the RWI output. If you use a method similar to my last example 7 in this paper: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings16/SAS5762-2016.pdf on pages 23/24. Where I have PROC REPORT at the top of the output, I was successful using the RWI for a different report at the top of the graphs. Note that the example does use ODS LAYOUT and ODS REGION, but at the ODS level, not at the RWI level.

Hope this helps.

cynthia
BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9
Hi Cynthia, That looks like exactly what I was trying to do. We have a 4 page report heavy with graphs that has to be generated for about 20,000 clients. Picky layout, so an Absolute layout seemed appropriate. There will be text inserted in to the pages as well as graphs from SAS procs and external .png file (headers, etc.). Thinking this through a little more carefully, I think pre-generating the proc outputs (mostly graphs but a few tables) would be the most efficient approach. Put them in a document store and pull them out with a RWI data step? How does one retrieve a given image/table from a document store in the RWI? Target output will be a pdf file, and that's another issue, since the pdf filename can't be created dynamically that I know of. Wish there was a filevar option for ODS PDF output. Open to suggestions on approaches on this task. Will read the paper in the morning after coffee. Thanks! --Ben
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Ben:
I am using ODS LAYOUT and ODS REGION, but my RWI call is a single datastep within the larger ODS statements. So I did not have to retrieve any images, they were inserted as they were created. This may not work for you. The References at the end of my paper have a lot of other papers. I think you will want to look at the O'Connor papers and one of them, had an absolute layout example.

cynthia
BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9
Cynthia,

Thanks again for the help. Your paper has a huge amount of cool stuff in it. I'm sure I can find what I need in there.
Much appreciated!

Ben

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation