hello,

i am new to the proc sql in sas. my dataset like this:

Obs id area year
5818 1 NEW YORK 2020
5819 1 NEW YORK 2021
5820 1 NEWARK 2020
5821 1 NEWARK 2021

i try to group them by id, year and area and i used the following code:

i think i supposed to get only two records but instead, i still got the 4 records. i can't figure out what's wrong with this code. 
proc sql;
create table data.clientematga2
as select distinct a.id, a.area, a.year
from data.clientematga a
group by euci42, ematga , a.year;

quit;

4 REPLIES 4
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

What does your log say?

Hard to say without seeing representative data. You have columns in your group by clause that do not appear in your posted data.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

i try to group them by id, year and area and i used the following code:

The data is already grouped by id, area and year, but you want id, year and area? Is that it? This is simply a sort of the data

proc sort data=have;
    by id year area;
run;
--
Paige Miller
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Good evening!
The "select distinct" refers to uniqueness in all columns given as an argument, in your case id, year, area ...
Now as I see four different (distinct) combinations in the sample provided by you, why do you expect 2 rows?
--fja

Kurt_Bremser
Super User
group by euci42, ematga , a.year

What is contained in these variables? Why do you use GROUP BY without a summary function (SAS SQL will automatically convert this to ORDER BY)? Why do you use variables in the GROUP BY which are not contained in your SELECT?

GROUP BY is used to calculate summary statistics for the groups, not for simple re-ordering.

Please post usable example data in a data step with datalines, and the expected result.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation