BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
csumby
Fluorite | Level 6

What does Viya actually mean? Is it an acronym? In Hindi, I believe, it means 'breeze'. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAS_Cares
SAS Employee

SAS® Viya® is an AI, analytic and data management platform that runs on a modern, scalable architecture. There is a great video here https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/viya.html that explains what Viya is and how it works! You can also check out our SAS Viya trials here https://www.sas.com/en_us/trials.html

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SAS_Cares
SAS Employee

SAS® Viya® is an AI, analytic and data management platform that runs on a modern, scalable architecture. There is a great video here https://www.sas.com/en_us/software/viya.html that explains what Viya is and how it works! You can also check out our SAS Viya trials here https://www.sas.com/en_us/trials.html

csumby
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Thanks for the response but I know what SAS Viya is. The question is what does Viya mean. Why is it called Viya?

Cheers,

Colin

ballardw
Super User

They wanted something longer than Via that sounds the same? 😉

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

I became very curious as well.

No idea what VIYA stands for.

Between 1986 and 2014 we had a famous band (music act) in Belgium, named:

Vaya Con Dios

Same pronunciation (Vaya - Viya). However, I do not think it's related.

Cheers,

Koen

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi All,

SAS Viya is ... just a cool name. I don't think the word means anything on its own, but since its launch it has become synonymous with high-speed, scalable cloud-native analytics.  Which was exactly the point -- it's a brand name that SAS can completely inhabit with its class of innovative offerings.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

SAS VIYA sounds indeed much better than SAS HSSCNA (high-speed, scalable cloud-native analytics).
Regards,

Koen

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@ChrisHemedinger wrote:

SAS Viya is ... just a cool name. I don't think the word means anything on its own, but since its launch it has become synonymous with high-speed, scalable cloud-native analytics.  Which was exactly the point -- it's a brand name that SAS can completely inhabit with its class of innovative offerings.

This is similar to what George Eastman did choosing the name Kodak, which meant nothing in any major language, and wasn't an acronym. It contained only consonant sounds that were present in all major languages, and was distinctive and different. It eventually became synonymous with photography and quality.

--
Paige Miller
csumby
Fluorite | Level 6
Hmmm. Kodak may well be unique in both spelling and pronunciation. However, Viya can be translated and pronounced is somewhat like 'via', which is present in many European languages. Is it purely a conceit?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@csumby wrote:
Hmmm. Kodak may well be unique in both spelling and pronunciation. However, Viya can be translated and pronounced is somewhat like 'via', which is present in many European languages. Is it purely a conceit?

I suppose this is a question for @ChrisHemedinger but I don't think he said that there were no words in other languages that were pronounced the same (or similar). George Eastman, on the other hand, specifically was looking for a "word" that didn't have a meaning (and thus didn't exist), and no word pronounced the same, in other major languages.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 13 likes
  • 6 in conversation