BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jejobo2340
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner with SAS world and I want to find study materials for myself. I would like to learn everything related to data preparation(ETL) in SAS Viya in order to perform all the transformations on tables and prepare them for the SAS report (but for now I am not interested in the report preparation itself) .

I saw some videos on youtube showing data preparation like this one, but I afraid using the GUI for creating the transformations is not enough in real-world scenarios where the transformations become complex. 

So my idea is to master the data preparation first and then learn the reporting part (like this video) which seems much easier. 

So can someone suggest a comprehensive study material for the data preparation? maybe I need to learn Sas coding first, I saw many books related to coding but I did not find one showing the coding skill in the SAS Viya environment, not the SAS studio alone.

Cheers

update: I also need to learn how to use data modeling techniques such as creating a star schema model in SAS Viya.

5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
We have a class on self-service data preparation in SAS Viya, you will find the course nformation here:
https://support.sas.com/edu/schedules.html?id=18401&ctry=US -- this is a 2 day class, which represents in-depth training on Data Preparation in SAS Viya, so it is more detailed than a YouTube video.

To learn about Programming in SAS Viya, using SAS Studio, you would look at this course, entitled Programming with SAS Viya, here: https://support.sas.com/edu/schedules.html?crs=PGVIYA&ctry=US and the more advanced
High-Performance Data Processing with CASL in SAS Viya class, shown here: https://support.sas.com/edu/schedules.html?crs=CASL&ctry=US

Be sure to look at the prerequisites tabs on both pages because they will show you what basic level of SAS knowledge you need before taking these classes.

When you are ready to dive into reporting, we would recommend the Visual Analytics 1 and Visual Analytics 2 classes, which you'll find on this learning path: https://support.sas.com/training/us/paths/va.html -- just click on a course title to drill down to the web page for the course, so you can see what's covered.

Cynthia
jejobo2340
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Cynthia for the info.

I am more comfortable learning with books so I ask if there are any books that fulfill my requirements written in the first post. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
When you take our classes you get course notes in PDF format for after-class study. Otherwise, your options are to print the documentation PDF files or look in the RedShelf bookstore for books.
Cynthia
jejobo2340
Fluorite | Level 6

I would like to have a more specific suggestion about the books in the Redshelf. Any book talking about data modeling in Sas explaining how to create star schema for instance?

I didn't find any basic level book about SAS viya that explain the SAS programming from a beginner's level. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Basically, when you use SAS Studio on the SAS Viya platform, the assumption is that you already know SAS programming. So SAS Viya books won't contain an introduction to SAS programming. They will assume that you already know the basics of writing a SAS program and accessing data (such as we teach in the Programming 1 class) and then, once you know those basics, the books/classes on SAS Viya will explain how to change your basic programs to run on the SAS Viya platform.
Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation