BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasyi
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I'm a frequent user of SAS OnDemand, which has been useful for my purposes. I received a dataset containing "sas7bdat" file with an accompanying "sas7bcat" file. I understand that "sas7bcat" files are catalogs files that don't contain data but stores information such as formats and marcos. I'm new to using this kind of file so I was wondering how would I use the "sas7bcat" file on SAS OnDemand along with my data file. 

It seems that OnDemand does not recognize the "sas7bcat" files when I try looking at it using proc catalog or proc contents. I've search the forum and have not found only one thread that was not longer active: https://communities.sas.com/t5/New-SAS-User/Accessing-sas7bcat-files/td-p/571143 

Any help with this would be great. Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SAS catalogs are dependent on SAS version and operating system. If these catalogs have not been created with SAS 9.4 on Linux, then you cannot use them on SAS On Demand.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

SAS catalogs are dependent on SAS version and operating system. If these catalogs have not been created with SAS 9.4 on Linux, then you cannot use them on SAS On Demand.

sasyi
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Kurt. Is there any way of importing them from one to another? 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

They have to be exported from the SAS installation they were created on using PROC CPORT. This produces a file which can then be imported using CIMPORT on SAS On Demand.

sasyi
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks SASKiwi. Is there any way to tell where the sas7bcat file was created from? 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Not easily. Possibly you could open it in an editor and see if there is anything readable in the header data. You need to go back to whoever provided the SAS catalog to send you a CPORTed version.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation