BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

I'm trying to learn arrays in SAS. In the example below I am using the sashelp.cars data set and converting mpg_city and mpg_highway into km.

1. How would I rename the variables to kmpg_city and kmpg_highway?

2. And, how would I create new variables called kmpg_city and kmpg_highway, so that I can keep the mpg_city and mpg_highway variables in the dataset?

Without using an array I would just do this: 

kmpg_city = mpg_city*1.6

kmpg_highway = kmpg_highway*1.6

data want;
set sashelp.cars;

/* Array statement (i.e., ARRAY) */
/* Array name (e.g., array_name) */
/* Number of elements (i.e., the number of vars. (*) tells SAS to figure it out) */
/* Elements (i.e., the vars) */
   ARRAY array_name(*) mpg_city mpg_highway ;

/* DO loop specifies the index variable and tells SAS how many iterations thru the loop. */
/* DIM tells SAS to figure out the number of iterations based on the number of elements.  */ 
   DO index_var = 1 to DIM (array_name);

/* The syntax you want. */
/* Write the syntax for 1 variable, then substitute the array name followed by the index var name in squiggly brackets. */
   array_name {index_var} = array_name {index_var}*1.6;
   END;

run;

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It doesn't sound like you want to RENAME anything.  Instead it sounds like you want to make NEW variables.

So use TWO arrays. One for the original variables and one for the new variables.

data want;
  set have;
  array original mpg_city mpg_highway;
  array new kpg_cit kpg_highway;
  do index=1 to dim(original);
    new[index] = 1.6 * original[index];
  end;
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It doesn't sound like you want to RENAME anything.  Instead it sounds like you want to make NEW variables.

So use TWO arrays. One for the original variables and one for the new variables.

data want;
  set have;
  array original mpg_city mpg_highway;
  array new kpg_cit kpg_highway;
  do index=1 to dim(original);
    new[index] = 1.6 * original[index];
  end;
run;
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

Thank you. I will check this out.

To clarify, I'd like to learn how to rename variables processed in an array AND create new variables in an array. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Arrays cannot be used to rename variables.

@Tom has already shown how to create new variables.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation