BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fordcr2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

I need help parsing out this string variable into something usable: 

Mon Mar 25 2019 17:46:55 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)

I do not need anything after 17:46:55, so I only really need the Mar 25 2019 and the 17:46:55 parts of this string. I would like this conversion to be in some kind of loop, as this will need to be done >200 times. 

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See this:

data have;
input invar $80.;
datalines;
Mon Mar 11 2019 19:27:44 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Mon Mar 11 2019 19:28:29 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
;
run;

data want;
set have;
datestr = scan(invar,3) !! scan(invar,2) !! scan(invar,4);
dtvar = input(datestr,date9.);
timevar = input(scan(invar,5),time8.);
format dtvar date9. timevar time8.;
run;

I use invar in my example dataset as column name. If your column is named differently, just replace "invar" with your column name.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

A loop is required if you have multiple variables containing those strings. If you have multiple observations, you don't need to write a loop, because a data step is iterating automatically.

Can you post some more examples in usable form (data step with datalines)?

It could be a good idea to create one datetime-variable, but this depends on the way you want to use the extracted information.

fordcr2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi thank you for the clarification. You are correct - it is just one variable with multiple observations. 

The variable name is Regimen_Date and here are some more examples of what the data looks like. All observations come in in this format as well. 

So I will need a date and time variable from this (separate). 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The string can quite easily be re-assembled into a valid SAS datetime input:

data have;
input invar $80.;
datalines;
;
run;

data want;
set have;
dtstr = scan(invar,3) !! scan(invar,2) !! scan(invar,4) !! ':' !! scan(invar,5);
dtvar = input(dtstr,datetime19.);
format dtvar datetime19.;
run;
fordcr2
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your response. This works well, except I need the date and time variables to be separated and I need to be able to do this over and over for multiple observations under the variable name Regimen_Date.  I have very little experience with this so I am sorry if the explanation needs to be a little elementary, but is there a way to assign invar as the Regimen_Date variable I currently have?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See this:

data have;
input invar $80.;
datalines;
;
run;

data want;
set have;
datestr = scan(invar,3) !! scan(invar,2) !! scan(invar,4);
dtvar = input(datestr,date9.);
timevar = input(scan(invar,5),time8.);
format dtvar date9. timevar time8.;
run;

I use invar in my example dataset as column name. If your column is named differently, just replace "invar" with your column name.

fordcr2
Obsidian | Level 7

That worked wonderfully! Thank you so much!

ballardw
Super User

A slightly different approach that does require a very fixed layout of the variable:

data have;
   input invar $80.;
   dt = input (substr(invar,5,25),anydtdtm21.);
   date=datepart(dt);
   time=timepart(dt);
   format dt datetime20. date date9. time time8.;
datalines;
;
run;
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

"Some kind of loop" is a bit vague. Do you have 200 rows of data, with a date like this on each row? Or, do you have data with 200 variables or columns on each row and each of the columns is a date like this?

What code have you tried? What is your end result? Do you want to have a SAS date value and a SAS time value, as 2 separate values? Do you want 2 character strings that you can display? Splitting out the information your want is fairly easy. Is there always a GMT and a + in the value; could there be a GMT and - sign in the value? Are there always parentheses in the value? Is the day of the week at the beginning always 3 characters?

Can you describe what you have and what you need in more detail?

Cynthia

fordcr2
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

What I meant is that it needs to be repeatable (this is a dataset that is updated often with medical device data and there will be thousands of observations that need to be converted this way - right now there are about 200). The data comes in under the variable Regimen_Date and the observations are as follows:

I want the date and time to be separate variables - all of the observations come in the same format, but I would need a date variable and a time variable separately parsed out from these strings. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation