BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Reeza
Super User
Not sure which version but if 5 has this supplement I would assume version 6 explicitly did deal with SAS Studio/UE somehow??

https://susanslaughter.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/lsb_sas_studio.pdf
GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Hello Cynthia,
Thanks for the responses,
I followed the instruction. Although they were very helpful; still, they couldn't take care of my issue completely.
My installed SAS program on my computer is for Windows Operating System and the one from SAS.com get free Software. I changed the file location in Shared Folder, virtual Machine. Libname didn't work.
I went back to my notes, I followed it up and I was able to successfully run libname statement.
Still, I can't see where they are, the statement runs successfully.
I used this code:
%let path=FILEPATH;
libname orion "/folders/myfolders/ecprg193";
The site is very confusing and different instructions for one simple thing.
Anyway, I hold onto this to see how it works for me.

Respectfully,
GN
Blue Blue
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
The name ECPRG193 is the folder name we used at least 3 years ago. I am not sure how you are still getting that folder name when we no longer have that e-learning class on our system. What you needed to do for your libname statement program was this:
%let path=/folders/myfolders/ecprg193;
libname orion "/folders/myfolders/ecprg193";
or

%let path=/folders/myfolders/ecprg193;
libname orion "&path";

You needed to have the helper macro variable &PATH in place and defined because many of our programs used &PATH in the program.
However, we no longer use the ORION data in our current classes and as far as I know, there are no elearning classes that reference that older data.

So I am concerned that you are following the wrong instructions and taking the wrong class. My suggestion is that you send mail to elearn@sas.com from the email address that you're using for e-learning so they can check how you have access to such an old class and so they can correct the problem and make sure you get access to the most current class.

That older class is not in sync with the newest Certification exam.
Cynthia

PS... If you have a folder in SAS University Edition, left over from taking the Programming 1 course before, please DELETE that folder. Before you email us, please go back into the e-learning course and double check the instructions under #2 as shown below:

Cynthia_sas_0-1594484629072.png

You should be seeing that you have to make a folder name of EPG1V2:

Cynthia_sas_1-1594484705805.png

You CANNOT use the older data with the newer course -- nothing with match up. Please do NOT use any data from an older version of Programming 1.

GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Hello Cynthia,
I followed the instruction in e-learning and I was able to see the folder:
EPG1V2

Now I am following up with the rest of setup instructions:
This is the code from e-learning:

/***********************************************/
/* In the line of code below, replace FILEPATH */
/* with the path to your EPG1V2/data folder */
/***********************************************/

%let path=FILEPATH;

/**********************************************/
/* DO NOT EDIT THE CODE BELOW */

libname PG1 ":\Users\****\Documents\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\EPG1V2";

Yesterday, when I ran the code, it said that the library is created
successfully.

Today, when I run the setup code: it says that

User sasdemo has insufficient permissions to create
/‌folders/‌myfolders/‌.sasstudio/‌.images. Contact your system
administrator to resolve.
[image: SAS.PNG]

What is the next step?

I appreciate your help.
Close

Blue Blue
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The code you posted code never work.  If your SAS session is running on Windows then you need drive letter in front of the colon in the path used in the libname statement.  But anyway the error message you posted makes it clear that your SAS session is running on Unix and not on Windows so the path is wrong in many more ways than just a missing drive letter.  If you are really running SAS University Edition then the path must start with /folders/myfolders/.  That is the only place the virtual machine were SAS is running where you can write.

You were supposed to change the string FILEPATH to the path that works on your machine but not make any changes to the code LIBNAME statement.  That is what the words in all uppercase in that comment mean.

GN0001
Barite | Level 11
This the code I have:

%let path=FILEPATH;

/* DO NOT EDIT THE CODE BELOW */

libname PG1 "/folders/myfolders/EPG1V2";

I get same error message. My SAS is University Edition running in VM.

I have SAS Studio.

Respectfully,

GN

Blue Blue
GN0001
Barite | Level 11
I tried:
/folders/myfolders/EPG1V2
And:
C:
both in SAS Studio and VM, still, I get the error message:

User sasdemo has insufficient permissions to create /‌folders/‌myfolders/‌.sasstudio/‌.images. Contact your system administrator to resolve.

How to resolve this issue?

Regards,
GN
Blue Blue
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I am not sure what code you were running. That does not look right.

Just to be entirely clear -- you CANNOT use a C: drive reference with SAS University Edition. Please do not bother trying it. It will NOT work. SAS University Edition is a Unix Virtual Machine. Windows drive/path locations are NOT valid for Unix. C: will NOT work. Don't try it. Trying it and having it not work is a distraction. It means nothing because a C: drive location will NOT work with University Edition

And, the /folders/myfolders/EPG1V2 will ONLY work if you have unzipped the course zip files to your shared folder location, as defined to your Virtual Machine hosting software. In addition, for our classes, you need to use the /data folder location. Please review the video https://youtu.be/5vfd_jt8ttc especially paying attention to these time stamps .
2:30 -- the top level folder in Server Files and Folders pane says My Folders when you are in SAS University Edition
3:20 -- expand the EPG1V2 folder and double click on setup.sas
3:37 -- select data folder under EPG1V2 main folder and right click then select Properties
3:54 -- copy path from Location field and paste into code --
4:09 -- see the full setup.sas program has this
%let path = /folders/myfolders/EPG1V2/data;
libname PG1 "&path";

So, do you have an EPG1V2 folder under your My Folders location? If yes, then the instructions, as written and as demo'd in the video should work for you. You do NOT use a C: drive location. If you do NOT have an EPG1V2 folder under your top My Folders path, then something is wrong. Either you did not define your shared folders correctly or you did not unzip the class zip file to the right location.

My guess is that your shared folder location is not correctly defined. Or, you have some other problem with the wrong path location or wrong case. These previous forum postings may be relevant:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Studio/User-sasdemo-has-insufficient-permissions-to-create-folder...
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/User-sasdemo-has-insufficient-permissions-to-create-f...
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Studio/user-sasdemo-has-insufficient-permissions-to-create-folder...

Many of these previous postings point to the shared folder location not being correct. Please remember that setting up shared folders is something you do in VirtualBox or VMWare Player and there are explicit instructions here: https://support.sas.com/software/products/university-edition/faq/shared_folder_virtualbox.htm for how to do that.

All I can do is recommend that you go back and try to double check your shared folder location before you deal with the class data.

Cynthia
Reeza
Super User
Using old training materials on a new software version doesn't work. Your 2018 materials are outdated. The Programming 1 course is entirely FREE now so I would suggest taking the new online version. Additionally, you can sign up for a free thirty day trial for SAS learning.

https://www.sas.com/en_ca/training/offers/free-training.html

If you scroll halfway down you'll find the course listed. Sign up and follow the instructions for SAS Studio there.
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello all,

I started from scratch.

I installed "Get Free SAS" one more time and followed up the instruction on the --

SASUniversityEdition. The libname GP1 is created successfully.

Data files are created with an error: 

ERROR: Cannot open %INCLUDE file FILEPATH/pg1v2.sas.
However, I can see the data files on the left panel on SAS.
So far, I can't predict any issues. I don't know about future.

Please advise me.
Regards,
GN

Blue Blue
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
We use a libname of PG1, as shown in the video that I posted already, the correct statements should be (in setup.sas):
%let path=/folders/myfolders/EPG1V2/data;
libname PG1 "&path";

THEN, after you submit that code and the PG1 library is successfully assigned you submit the second program.
Cynthia
GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Hello Cynthia,

Thanks for the response and video.

I had this path:
%let path=/folders/myfolders/EPG1V2
I added /data to this path after watching the video and everything
looks good!!

Thanks for the effort and help.

Regards,
GN
Blue Blue

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 17 likes
  • 4 in conversation