BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sunboyss30
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi ,

When i am trying to fetch data from Teradata into SAS with a select * statement , I get the below error. I know it has to do with the format as SAS does not support the Teradata data types. But when I select all the fields with their names instead of * it doesn't give error. Please suggest.

ERROR: At least one of the columns in this DBMS table has a datatype that is not supported by this engine.

4 REPLIES 4
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Doing a select * is almost never a good idea. Pick only the fields you need, which you've already proved works.
Sunboyss30
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi tomrvincent,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you but I need to consider all the fields in that table and if a pick it instead of * it makes the code go very long. And i was just trying avoiding that.

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

No idea with 'consider' means in this case, but I think I'd either be satisfied with long code or break up the task into smaller chunks, maybe 10 or 20 fields at a time.

Even with the dreaded 'select *' I suspect that you have to refer to individual field names later on so a long select statement shouldn't be a problem.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation