BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello
In a typical SAS 9.x environment, users often create datasets etc. that can be permanently stored on a physical disk.  (Local, shared etc.)
Moving to SAS Viya 4 on AWS I am exploring the options where a user can   get the same experience and store the data on some form of permanent storage disk. (Content server, database excluded). This could be a storage on AWS itself.  
Wondering if somebody can enlighten me about the options available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Well, I suggest you search through the SAS Viya documentation for references to AWS and S3. Here is one: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_051/casref/n04xsjoovrpx7in1rzmr319nr0se.htm

This should give you an idea about the options. In Viya there are many ways to interact with S3 file storage including FILENAME S3, PROC S3, CASLIB and PROC CASUTIL. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks @ballardw  and @SASKiwi  for the wonderful references.
What I was looking at is some way to store data on a user accessible physical location while using SAS Viya 4 on AWS. This is something that is normally doable on SAS 9.4x.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Well, I suggest you search through the SAS Viya documentation for references to AWS and S3. Here is one: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_051/casref/n04xsjoovrpx7in1rzmr319nr0se.htm

This should give you an idea about the options. In Viya there are many ways to interact with S3 file storage including FILENAME S3, PROC S3, CASLIB and PROC CASUTIL. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@thesasuser wrote:

Thanks @ballardw  and @SASKiwi  for the wonderful references.
What I was looking at is some way to store data on a user accessible physical location while using SAS Viya 4 on AWS. This is something that is normally doable on SAS 9.4x.

If I understand your question then isn't this more an AWS than a SAS Viya question? Like: How to access AWS cloud storage used by a Viya environment also from on-prem? If so then have a look at AWS Storage Gateway FAQs

If going down this route then you will certainly also have to look into security (and talk to your IT what's supported/allowed) as well as at cost (charges for data transfer AWS to on-prem).