BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bhaskarkothavt
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Community,

I'm reaching out for some guidance on loading large .dat files into SAS Viya 4.

Our Process: Each semester, we generate census datasets from snapshots of data received as .dat files from IT.
Previously, we used Base SAS programs to read these files from a Windows file server and convert them to SAS datasets.

Challenge: Since transitioning to SAS Viya 4, I'm encountering difficulties loading the .dat files, particularly with larger ones exceeding 100MB. I'm unable to load or copy them directly into SAS Viya.

Clarification: I'm copying the .dat files to "SAS Content," not the CAS server (I am unable to copy to cas). For this project my programs typically read data from the "SAS Content" location.

Specific Issue: Out of 19 .dat files, 17 successfully copy to the "SAS Content" path and able to convert them into sas datasets. However, the two remaining files (119MB and 153MB) fail to copy, resulting in an error (details provided below).

bhaskarkothavt_0-1716899153434.png

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to approach loading/copying these large .dat files into SAS Viya 4. Any advice on alternative methods or configuration adjustments would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you for your time and support!

Sincerely,

Bhaskar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

This error message doesn't tell much. 

I assume this is either a file size or a time limit. I believe a file size limit would return a different message so it's likely a timeout. Assuming you want also in the future to be able to upload bigger files I suggest you talk to your SAS admin or SAS Tech Support to identify the root cause and figure out if there is a config that could get changed.

Just did some docu search and found: studio - maxUploadSize

Looks like the default setting for SAS Studio is 100MB upload size which is what you seem to hit. Guess you need to talk to your SAS Admin to have this value increased.

Patrick_0-1716947623299.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bhaskarkothavt
Obsidian | Level 7
For time being - I used R Studio to split my .dat file into parts which will be less than 100 MB and then uploading to viya4.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

This error message doesn't tell much. 

I assume this is either a file size or a time limit. I believe a file size limit would return a different message so it's likely a timeout. Assuming you want also in the future to be able to upload bigger files I suggest you talk to your SAS admin or SAS Tech Support to identify the root cause and figure out if there is a config that could get changed.

Just did some docu search and found: studio - maxUploadSize

Looks like the default setting for SAS Studio is 100MB upload size which is what you seem to hit. Guess you need to talk to your SAS Admin to have this value increased.

Patrick_0-1716947623299.png

bhaskarkothavt
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks a lot Patrick, this helps me to resolve the issue.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you need to transfer such large files regularly you should not be use the FILE UPLOAD point and click interface anyway.  Just get the files made available on the machine where SAS/Viya is running and read the the file or copy the file using SAS code instead.  For example if the file is on a shared network drive then make sure the drive is mounted on the machine where SAS runs.  Or use SFTP or other file transfer protocols to move the file to a disk that is accessible by the SAS machine.