BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sarah123
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi all, I'm trying to create a d-optimal main effects design with quantitative variables (e.g. price) that have 3+ levels. In my candidate runs, I observe runs with the intermediate levels of the quantitative variables, however, in all the output for my test designs, I have not seen any runs with intermediate levels of the quantitative variables. Only the largest and the smallest values of those variables.

Has anyone encountered this before, and is there a reason that the d-optimal designs are not selecting runs with the intermediate levels?

Thank you for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Yes.  That is correct.  Two points define a line.  If you want a linear (quantitative) effect, then the correct behavior is to pick the extreme points.  That is most efficient.  If you want intermediate points (the middle point for a quadratic effect) then treat the factor as qualitative.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Yes.  That is correct.  Two points define a line.  If you want a linear (quantitative) effect, then the correct behavior is to pick the extreme points.  That is most efficient.  If you want intermediate points (the middle point for a quadratic effect) then treat the factor as qualitative.

sarah123
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you! I had a suspicion but this is new to me and I didn't see it written in any of the examples I worked through 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation