BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
abhik_giri
Calcite | Level 5

Is Minimize ∑[x(i)+y(i)] the exact equivalent of ∑x(i)+y(i) for a LPP?

Some time back, I read somewhere that the formulation ∑x(i)+y(i) is more effective than ∑[x(i)+y(i)] because we are minimizing each section of the objective function separately. Same for maximizaton.

Is this correct? Can it be mathematically proved if this is correct or incorrect?

1 REPLY 1
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, they are equivalent, and neither one is more efficient than the other.  In both cases, the LP solver sees a single vector of objective coefficients and optimizes the x and y parts simultaneously.  The variable names do not influence the solver, which internally considers all problems as having one set of variables indexed from 0 to n - 1.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation