BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

For the record, FITPOLICY=SPLIT does not work for LINEAR axes, due to the numeric nature of this axis type. The SPLIT policy applies only to DISCRETE axes.

davehalltwp
Quartz | Level 8

Okay, thanks, Dan.

As a test, I turned on TYPE=DISCRETE.  It indeed made the axis discrete, with evenly spaced ticks (which I don't want), but still did not split tick label and still displayed my split character.

I shouldnt experiment with embedding a line feed in the tick label text to go backdoor and get split/wrap, right?  Not sure how I would do it anyway.

Thank you...

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

The SPLIT policy splits only on collision. The SPLITALWAYS policy splits regardless of collision.

davehalltwp
Quartz | Level 8

My customer is good with the STAGGER tick mark labels.  Thanks very much to Dan and everybody who helped me out.

I only have one thing left to figure out (such as below, where I have visit 7 values at study day as high as 94, but 85 is the only tick mark want for that visit, so I have to figure out how to plot the point to the right of the 85 tick mark without adding any higher tick marks).  But I will leave that until a new day.

Thank you all...

davehalltwp_0-1646106686454.png

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

the simplest solution is to swap the X and Y axes. Put the long labels on the horizontal axis and the Signal-to-Noise Ratio on the horizontal axis. 

For a discussion of the advantages of plotting data like this horizontally, see "3 reasons to prefer a horizontal bar chart." The reasons apply equally well to box plots, scatter plots, and other graphs that have long labels for tick marks.

davehalltwp
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you, Rick.  I appreciate the advice, which of course I didn't think of.

I have actually finished these plots, including display of extreme study days without adding tick marks, ant the customer is happy.

Thanks to everybody for all your guidance... 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 7 in conversation