BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mariosegal
Calcite | Level 5

My pleasure, attached 4 samples from R, 3 versions that could work, I also added a faceted one which was not what I asked for  and that  I CAN do in sgpanel

the code I used is below, I also had to read the data and create a factor, which is not dissimilar to having a sas format - all in one line with minimal options, will get a bit more complicated if I wanted to format axes or add axis labels (in either platform)

#chart1

ggplot(small, aes(x=sheetz_num,fill=atm_group)) + geom_histogram(alpha=.2, position="identity",binwidth=1)+labs(title="Chart1")

#chart2

ggplot(small, aes(x=sheetz_num,fill=atm_group)) + geom_histogram(alpha=1, position="dodge",binwidth=1)+labs(title="Chart2")

#chart3

ggplot(small, aes(x=sheetz_num,color=atm_group)) + geom_density()+labs(title="Chart3")

#chart4

ggplot(small, aes(x=sheetz_num)) + geom_histogram(alpha=.2, position="identity",binwidth=1)+labs(title="Chart4")+facet_grid(atm_group~.)

I do not believe this is possible with gplot as suggested, unless I transform the data first with Proc freq (basically creating the bins) so I can have 3 variables as in the stock example, but why should I do that, for that matter I can maybe have 2 powerpoint charts on top of each other somehow, it would be cumbersome and time consuming.

I appreciate the help, and I do it because I like SAS and would like to be able to do it in SAS,

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Thanks for the examples! 

Here's some code showing how you could create something like Chart1 using gplot.

Yes, you'll have to pre-summarize your data.

One suggestion - once you get a plot you like, you might want to write a macro so that you can generate the plot by passing parameters to the macro (similar to what you're doing in R) rather than repeating the code each time.

data foo;

input atm_group sheetz_num count;

datalines;

1 1 1950

1 2 1500

1 3 900

1 4 400

1 5 300

2 1 6100

2 2 2400

2 3 1600

2 4 1000

2 5 550

;

run;

axis1 label=(angle=90 'count') minor=none offset=(0,0);

axis2 order=(0 to 20 by 5) minor=none offset=(0,0);

symbol1 value=none interpol=needle width=15 color=Af0582f55;

symbol2 value=none interpol=needle width=15 color=A39dee455;

legend1 position=(right middle) across=1 label=(position=top);

title "Chart1";

proc gplot data=foo;

plot count*sheetz_num=atm_group /

vzero vaxis=axis1 haxis=axis2 legend=legend1

autohref autovref chref=grayee cvref=grayee;

run;

sheetz.png

blchri
SAS Employee

I had the same problem as your Chart 3 last year.  One solution (to chart 3) is to create your own template file.  It's kind of like a layout() in R.   This one will create 3 densities overlaid on one plot.  I can give you a full example if you want.

proc template;

define statgraph d;

begingraph;

layout overlay / xaxisopts=(label='Volume');

densityplot eval((log(src = 'bc') + 1) * vol) /

kernel() lineattrs=(color=purple);

densityplot eval((log(src = 'bp') + 1) * vol) /

kernel() lineattrs=(color=red);

densityplot eval((log(src = 'fp') + 1) * vol) /

kernel() lineattrs=(color=gray);

endlayout;

endgraph;

end;

run;

proc sgrender data=abcd template=d;

run;

mariosegal
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all - it is clear exactly how to do it in SAS now

What I want to emphasize is that in R I am not doing any pre-processing, nor am I required to create a template or a macro, I am just using ggplot2 - the equivalent in SAS would be to do it in sgplot/sgpanel/gplot without pre-processing. The simple calls I showed do all the work

If I worked at SAS, implementing the grammar of graphics and allowing this sort of things would be on my priority list

I really like SAS, I believe it can do most of what people need, and every day I discover new things (The ability to call support for help is a super valid feature, the R forums are not quite the same). And it deals with large datasets easily while in R we are constrained to in memory or have to use special techniques - but graphics is one area where it lags a bit - as shown here - it is hard to always have labels on top of bars as well, if they do not fit perfectly they just are not printed.

blchri
SAS Employee

If you feel that R graphics are better for your needs, you can actually call R from SAS using IML studio.   Here's some information about calling R from SAS:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/studio/statr.pdf

mariosegal
Calcite | Level 5

I did not know that, very interesting.

I am not familiar with IML - is that part of Base SAS?

blchri
SAS Employee

It's a separate product.  I'm not sure about all the details.  I think the name changed in the last release or two.  IMLplus and/or IML Studio depending on the release?  would know.

SAS IML website:

Interactive matrix programming, SAS/IML | SAS

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You can call R from PROC IML and from SAS/IML Studio.

For a video that shows the basics, see Video: Calling R from the SAS/IML Language - The DO Loop

For an example and discussion, see Calling R from SAS/IML software - The DO Loop

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 8 in conversation