BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
IChatterji
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am using the following code to create Histograms that I will ultimately include in a presentation package. I need to format the titles and color bars so that it matches the rest of the presentation template. My 2 needs are :

- What is the code to specify the color that is filled in the histogram bar?

- What is the code to display the BY variables in the Plot Description? Currently the histogram description is "Distribution of PnL". I want to be able to say "Distribution of PnL - <Symbol>_<RiskProfile>"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If this question should be posted in Graphics community, please let me know.

ods select Histogram;
proc univariate data=Mstr_rule4a_analysis noprint;
by symbol riskprofile;
var PnL;
histogram/barlabel=count ;
where win_loss ne 'FEE' and year ge 2015 ;
inset n mean std="Std Dev" / pos = ne format = 5.2;
title 'IB One-5yrs-Histogram PnL';
run;
title;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For the title, use the ODSTITLE= option in conjunction with the #BYVAL keyword. If you aren't familiar with the #BYVAL keyword, see "How to use the #BYVAR and #BYVAL keywords."

options nobyline;

proc univariate ...;
ods select Histogram;
by symbol riskprofile;
var PnL;
histogram PnL / odstitle="Distribution of PnL - #ByVal1._#ByVal2";
run;

options byline;

Even if you switch to PROC SGPLOT (which I agree is a good idea), you can also use the #BYVAL keyword to control the TITLE statement used for your PROC SGPLOT graphs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
You can control it somewhat using the different style templates but PROC UNIVARIATE doesn't offer much customization options.

If you're looking for a fully customized graph, I would highly suggest using SGPLOT histogram code instead.

https://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/2017/04/30/getting-started-with-sgplot-histograms/

You would use FILL/FILLATTRS option on the HISTOGRAM statement to control the colours.
https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.5&docsetId=grstatproc&docsetTarget=n...
IChatterji
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. I will try my hand at SGPLOT. Are questions on SGPLOT best directed to the Graphics community?

Reeza
Super User
Yes, any graphics related questions are best posted there.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

For the title, use the ODSTITLE= option in conjunction with the #BYVAL keyword. If you aren't familiar with the #BYVAL keyword, see "How to use the #BYVAR and #BYVAL keywords."

options nobyline;

proc univariate ...;
ods select Histogram;
by symbol riskprofile;
var PnL;
histogram PnL / odstitle="Distribution of PnL - #ByVal1._#ByVal2";
run;

options byline;

Even if you switch to PROC SGPLOT (which I agree is a good idea), you can also use the #BYVAL keyword to control the TITLE statement used for your PROC SGPLOT graphs.

IChatterji
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Rick. The #ByVal<n> option works very well, I am a bit embarrassed that it was not known to me as this was available in SAS since 1998! I am attaching below my final code in case any reader wants to view the before/after code change.

options byline;
ods select Histogram;
proc univariate data=Mstr_rule4a_analysis noprint;
by symbol riskprofile;
var PnL;
histogram/barlabel=count odstitle="Distribution of PnL - #ByVal1._#ByVal2";
where win_loss ne 'FEE' and year ge 2015 ;
inset n mean std="Std Dev" / pos = ne format = 5.2;
title 'IB One-5yrs-Histogram PnL';
run;
title;
options nobyline;

Do you by any chance have a suggestion for how to change the colors in the histogram bars without going to SGPLOT?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The colors in SAS graphs are determined by the current ODS style.  You can create a new style and specify the color that is used to fill bars (and other graph attributes). There is a whole chapter in the SAS/STAT documentation about how to understand and modify ODS styles.

Personally, I think it will be easier for you to use SGPLOT. Here is an example so you can see how it is done:

proc sort data=sashelp.cars(where=(type in ('Sedan' 'Wagon' 'SUV'))) out=cars;
by origin type;
run;

options nobyline;

title "Distribution of MPG City - #ByVal1._#ByVal2";
proc sgplot data=cars;
by origin type;
histogram MPG_City / fillattrs=(color=VeryLightYellow); /* or color=CXFAFAA0 */
run;

options byline;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation