BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Reeza
Super User

Does anyone by chance have an example of generating an animated graphic directly into a PDF report?

I know it's possible and can manually insert one via InDesign or automated in R via gganimate but looking to see if I can stay within my SAS processes. 

13 REPLIES 13
Reeza
Super User
Sadly no. Those create a gif file that is animated and a PDF with an image for each portion of the animation. I’ll run an example from gganimate and include it when I’m at a computer later tonight.
Reeza
Super User

Here's an example that's a bit over the top, but definitely a possibility. Open the PDF in Adobe not a different PDF viewer. 

I think this example is using JS behind the scenes. 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Very interesting, thank you.

Why would someone write a paper describing a process that doesn't work? Sigh..

I guess this feature is but a new entry to be added in the sasware ballot for now.

Reeza
Super User

I suspect it's a matter of embedding an image within the PDF with the correct options. So creating a GIF or MOV file and then somehow embedding that within a PDF. I know we can add/embed images, so just not sure what settings I may need to embed that specifically. I was hoping someone had already figured it out but I guess I can Smiley LOL

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

I tried the method given in @Cynthia_sas message to embed a GIF in a PDF document. It worked, but the resulting image wasn't animated.

PG
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
My understanding of PDF was that graphs were converted to an internal image format. I don't know what happens with animated graphics. However, I found this:

make_a_mov.png

It does look like you have to convert the GIF into a MOV. I don't think SAS will do that, so you might have to take the animated GIF from SAS and do something with it with a 3-rd party product to make it a MOV.

Cynthia

Reeza
Super User
I found that one too, but think its a few years old. I believe Adobe now allows gifs but you need to have pro to do it. I'll verify that today at the office. Is there some reason SAS couldn't generate a mov file instead of a gif?
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

So if we had a mov graphics driver it night work? One for R&D @Jay54?

Reeza
Super User
I don't think a mov file is a requirement. The file attached has no mov file, it's from latex, but not sure how it works...it's possible it's a mov file I suppose.
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Or JS takes care of displaying the single images in turn.

djrisks
Barite | Level 11

I usually export the SAS animation as a GIF. Then convert the GIF to a movie file with a free converter online. Then use Adobe Pro to insert the animation (movie file) into the PDF. This is similar to @Reeza's suggestion.

Many thanks,

Kriss

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation