BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
muhuri
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

After the installation of SAS Studio with JupterLab in my computer, I had several runs with SASPy, which went well, and I got desired output.  Now my further attempts to invoke Python 3 using JupyterLab are failing. I am getting this error -   "Invalid response: 500 Internal Server Error".

Any help toward the resolution of the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pradip Muhuri

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User
Are you using SAS University Edition? If so, I suspect you need to update it first. The updates came out earlier this month.
muhuri
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Reza,

Thank you so much for responding to my query.

It was just yesterday (12/19/2018) that I updated the installations based on this: download the newest SAS University Edition vApp from our website, and remove/re-import the SAS University Edition Virtual Machine into Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Workstation with additional instructions I received on the same day from SAS Institute. 

This morning, the technical support person at SAS Institute has suggested to me that I post this question (Internal Server Error) here. 

Any further guidance toward resolving the issue would be appreciated.

Pradip

Reeza
Super User
And to confirm, SAS UE is running while you're trying to run your Jupyter notebooks? You can see that black pop up screen with the address?
muhuri
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry, I am not sure which black pop up in JupyterLab are you referring to.  I see a separate SAS Studio screen under a separate web browser tab.  SAS  Studio 3.8 by itself works fine.  Thanks,

Reeza
Super User
Not in Jupyterlab, the black screen from the VM running. It shows the URL to type into the browser, but if SAS Studio is launched and you still get that error it's definitely problematic.
muhuri
Calcite | Level 5

Just wanted to confirm to you that the VM (in black screen) was running.  Do you think that is an installation issue?  Thanks,

Reeza
Super User

I don't. But try restarting and try a different browser. And make sure any browser extensions are turned off if you're using them. 

I have recollections of getting this error and it then went away on it's own. Have you tried the good ol' power everything down and start up again? Assuming you have, I'm not sure. I'll check mine tonight to see if I can get on using SAS UE. 

Just to confirm one more time though, you're using Jupyter that comes up when SAS UE pops up and instead of clicking Studio your Jupyter notebook never opens. 

@muhuri wrote:

Just wanted to confirm to you that the VM (in black screen) was running.  Do you think that is an installation issue?  Thanks,

muhuri
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I was using JupyterLab that comes up when the 'Welcome! SAS Studio' screen pops up.

I just have tried a different browser with no luck of getting into JupyterLab.  Thanks,

sastpw
SAS Employee

Hey, so do I have it right that you updated, but really that downloads the new image and you removed the previous UE and installed this one into virtual box outright? So there's no real update the parts inside the VM; it's a clean install? I have only limited experience with UE, and I haven't gone through the Update process, just install.

You mentioned that at first this worked fine. Do you know 'what changed' between when it worked and quit working?

I googled 'jupyter lab Invalid response: 500 Internal Server Error' and there are a lot of hits. Some of these have to do with mismatched versions of various jupyter components or configuration, while others are about a specific notebook not working - perhaps corrupted.

For your situation, is it a particular notebook? If you try to reinstall the VM will it start working again? I just downloaded and installed this and, of course, it worked fine; as you experienced. I don't know what to do to try to see if I can reproduce this. Any more specifics about your scenario?

Thanks,

Tom

sastpw
SAS Employee

Ah, after entering this, I saw a set of links to the side of this issue showing 'related topics'. One of those was similar to this, and it appears to have this problem figured out and addressed! See this entry: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Analytics-U/SAS-University-Edition-JupyterLab-Error-Message-quot-...

It had to do with saving the state of the VM as opposed to shutting it down. Sounds like it resolves this. See if it does for your case.

Thanks,

Tom

Reeza
Super User

Check your browser extensions...I verified it last week and it worked fine for me :).

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation