BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Here is something that bugs me.  Suppose the OP asks a question, and User1 gives a partial solution and User2 gives a partial solution.   When I respond to this thread, I have to choose one of the items in the thread to Reply to.  Let's say I reply to User2.  That opens a new window and enables me to see the response from User2, but I cannot see the original question or the response from User1.  This makes collaboration difficult. I can no longer see or cut-and-paste from the OP or User1, so it is hard for me to say, "The OP said 'QUOTE THE OP'" and User1 suggested "QUOTE USER1," etc.

Often I create a new browser tab and go to the complete thread so that I can see the details from all previous replies. But this is inconvenient.  I'd like to have an option to see the complete thread while I am responding.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LainieH
Community Manager

@Rick_SAS wrote:

Here is something that bugs me.  Suppose the OP asks a question, and User1 gives a partial solution and User2 gives a partial solution.   When I respond to this thread, I have to choose one of the items in the thread to Reply to.  Let's say I reply to User2.  That opens a new window and enables me to see the response from User2, but I cannot see the original question or the response from User1.  This makes collaboration difficult. I can no longer see or cut-and-paste from the OP or User1, so it is hard for me to say, "The OP said 'QUOTE THE OP'" and User1 suggested "QUOTE USER1," etc.

Often I create a new browser tab and go to the complete thread so that I can see the details from all previous replies. But this is inconvenient.  I'd like to have an option to see the complete thread while I am responding.

Rick, I want to learn more about your experience. I think I understand > you have a list of 3 replies to question 1 and you reply to reply 3 but can't see question 1.

This is a slightly different issue than the user in this feedback post who wants to have additional context for "replying to replies" : https://communities.sas.com/t5/Trailblazer-Lounge/Reply-to-other-than-last-post/m-p/228759  .. in this case,  a short term workaround is to click the Quote message (like I've done here) to insert a quote from the last message. 

However this doesn't solve your particular issue: which I understand can be a problem. Especially if it is a complicated question and you neeed to reference it. 

Have you tried this option yet? 

While in edit mode, you can click the "view dicussion in a popup" below the editor, while editing a post. 

This will open a window or tab separately that will allow you to see the complete thread. Does that help? I'll also look into configuration options just in case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I agree.  In other forum software I have seen the response box pops out and you can use each separately.  Then hovering over the original responses shows a number indicating a forum post.  In your response you can put:

---

[quote_112]

...snip

[/quote]

I liked this post

[quote_117]

...snip

[/quote]

This one too.

---

To link directly to post numbers.  Might be an option.

ballardw
Super User

The closest I have found for a work-around is instead of clicking on "Reply" to right click on the reply button and open in a new window. Which at least allows switching between tabs/windows to read the base thread.

LainieH
Community Manager

@Rick_SAS wrote:

Rick, I want to learn more about your experience. I think I understand > you have a list of 3 replies to question 1 and you reply to reply 3 but can't see question 1.

This is a slightly different issue than the user in this feedback post who wants to have additional context for "replying to replies" : https://communities.sas.com/t5/Trailblazer-Lounge/Reply-to-other-than-last-post/m-p/228759  .. in this case,  a short term workaround is to click the Quote message (like I've done here) to insert a quote from the last message. 

However this doesn't solve your particular issue: which I understand can be a problem. Especially if it is a complicated question and you neeed to reference it. 

While in edit mode, you can click the "view dicussion in a popup" below the editor, while editing a post. 

This will open a window or tab separately that will allow you to see the complete thread. Does that help? I'll also look into configuration options just in case.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

@LainieH wrote:

That's a good tip. I had not noticed the "View discussion in a popup"  link. This will make it easier to reply to several posts in a single thread.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation