BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
WeiChen
Obsidian | Level 7

I know how to subscribe to threads, but I cant find how to follow a person. I want to get notified when he post because I learn a lot from him. Where can I find how to follow?

Example: If I want to follow @BeverlyBrown , where do I click to follow her?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

Unfortunately, the "Friend" option was not fully built out by our platform provider, and they have not updated it in recent years. I know of no good way to follow a particular person and be alerted to their activity.

My best work-around is to enter the person's user name in the Search field. That will bring up their public activity and you can sort by date to find their recent activity.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

What happens when you Friend someone?  Could that be related?

WeiChen
Obsidian | Level 7

I dont know. In other places (linkedin) a friend request sends a notice and requires the other person approve. Cant I follow someone without bothering them?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I found no option in my Notifications that would send me one when a friend posts something.

To @WeiChen if you followed me (and it will be true for all Super Users and Proc Stars), you would be swamped by notifications.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @WeiChen,

In 2018 I read the similar question by novinosrin and the 2017 thread he was referred to: RSS feeds were the suggested solution. Then I installed a free RSS feed reader software on my private PC of that time. I don't remember the details why it didn't work (or if it was just cumbersome to use), but I gave up soon and haven't used it ever since. Nevertheless you may want to try this approach. Good luck!

ballardw
Super User

Not a subscription but a work around: click on the name of the person you would like to follow to bring  up their public profile. Then right click on the "Recent Posts" link and BOOKMARK that page. That should create a bookmark in your browser to go directly to that person's recent activity. 

BeverlyBrown
Community Manager

Hi @WeiChen@ballardw's workaround is probably your best bet. Meanwhile, I'm digging through our platform documentation to see if RSS subscriptions are still an option (per the 2017 thread mentioned in these comments.) If so, I'll post back here.

Couldn't attend SAS Innovate in person? We gotchu. Access on-demand content now!

WeiChen
Obsidian | Level 7

Here's an update:

I used Friend button. The user is not notified when you use the Friend button. The user does not need to approve your request. You get pop up windows that says "Success! Added <NAME> to contacts."

However this does not solve the problem. The Freind has posted messages since then and I did not get notice on my Profile page nor by email.  

Can anyone tell me what Friend button does? What use is it? 

I go to 

• My settings :: Subscriptions & Notifications :: Notification Settings

and I see a lot of options to be notified when something happens. But word "friend" or "contact" not appear on that page.

WeiChen
Obsidian | Level 7

With respect, I do not see evidence of your statement. What additional info do you think I can see for freind? When I look at your profile (not a friend) I see the same tabs and information as for my freind profile.  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It depends on the settings of the user. I have set (in Preferences/Privacy) to show my private information and email to Friends Only. I think the default there is No One.

WeiChen
Obsidian | Level 7

That doesn't seem true. I just Freind you and looked at your profile. I can not see your private email.

Probably good. Since anyone can Freind you and you do not get notified, this prevents strangers from seeing your pribvate information.

WeiChen
Obsidian | Level 7

That did make a small difference. I now see a new section :

About
I learned to program with Pascal while attending ...

That is the only new info I see. No email or other private info.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The "About" is the private part that not everybody sees. Why the email is not displayed, I don't know. I can't see yours, either.

This whole "social network" part of the communities seems to have been neglected up to now.