BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello friends, have a question reg. tracking sas temp dir,

we are using sas 9.4 on linux. if i have root access, i know i can do cd sas_work... or cd sas_util to see user's temp sas datasets and other files - so if i do cd to temp sas dir while user running their jobs, is it (cd to temp sas dir) going to interfere their session? is it okay to do so? - thank you...

5 REPLIES 5
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

quick answer would be: as long as you only want to list directories and files, no problem at all. The only problem may come when you open a sas table and you lock that file from the SAS session. But you never will do this with just a cd command.

woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

thank you Juan...

however after doing cd sas_work or cd sas_util, i do ls -lt to see sas datasets and other files in details - and if i understand you correctly, i don't think it should affact anything and user experience any kind of error (like table locking or so...) from my end...

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I think this is pretty much the same way that Environment Manager collects its OS related stats.
Data never sleeps
woo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

appologize if any comment has deleted...my internet not working fine today and some system issues....

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi again,

indeed, ls or ll commands should not affect your users.

A recommendation, as best practice, specially towards the automatic cleaning of the work directories: it is way better to do just a ll/ls of the directory you want to list, rather to do a cd, to enter the directory, and then run a generic ll/ls to list the contents of that directory.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation