BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Hello friends, have a question reg. tracking sas temp dir,

we are using sas 9.4 on linux. if i have root access, i know i can do cd sas_work... or cd sas_util to see user's temp sas datasets and other files - so if i do cd to temp sas dir while user running their jobs, is it (cd to temp sas dir) going to interfere their session? is it okay to do so? - thank you...

5 REPLIES 5
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

quick answer would be: as long as you only want to list directories and files, no problem at all. The only problem may come when you open a sas table and you lock that file from the SAS session. But you never will do this with just a cd command.

woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

thank you Juan...

however after doing cd sas_work or cd sas_util, i do ls -lt to see sas datasets and other files in details - and if i understand you correctly, i don't think it should affact anything and user experience any kind of error (like table locking or so...) from my end...

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I think this is pretty much the same way that Environment Manager collects its OS related stats.
Data never sleeps
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

appologize if any comment has deleted...my internet not working fine today and some system issues....

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi again,

indeed, ls or ll commands should not affect your users.

A recommendation, as best practice, specially towards the automatic cleaning of the work directories: it is way better to do just a ll/ls of the directory you want to list, rather to do a cd, to enter the directory, and then run a generic ll/ls to list the contents of that directory.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation