BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Andrea_Bocco
Fluorite | Level 6

I have to start by saying that I have a very rough understanding of sas eg architecture, mostly earned while toying with configuration files and autoexec macros.

Today, sas eg complained he was unable to connect to a sasapp server. Easy fix, just a bad string in the sasv9_usermods configuration file, but the interesting thing was that a colleague (I've never met or talk to him directly) was able to find a very specific error message that helped me a lot figuring out the problem by "simulating a session login on the workspace server".

What does it mean and how do you do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Andrea_Bocco,

if you can access the SAS server itself, with a sas user account, as interactive user, you can run the WorkspaceServer.bat or .sh. This would actually execute a WorkpaceServer session, with that user. And with this, since you can see the Display Manager and the command line prompt, you can see the errors happening behind the scenes and quickly fix them. Specially if they are related to typos in the config.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Andrea_Bocco,

if you can access the SAS server itself, with a sas user account, as interactive user, you can run the WorkspaceServer.bat or .sh. This would actually execute a WorkpaceServer session, with that user. And with this, since you can see the Display Manager and the command line prompt, you can see the errors happening behind the scenes and quickly fix them. Specially if they are related to typos in the config.

Andrea_Bocco
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you. I sneaked in the bad string again when nobody was working on that server and tested what you said. I got the same error message this colleague of mine mailed me.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation