BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sharafadeen
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All,

I am doing migration of sas application from one server to another 

How can i update database ip address or hostname  on a deployed server kindly advice thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @sharafadeen ,

well, you have several methods. You can give a try to the update hostname tool (SAS Deployment Manager), to update metadata and some config files, although what you would need mostly is to go manually to the metadata and configuration files (grep tool) to find the values and update them. If you have a SAS Solution, you will probably need to check the SAS WIP database (mainly the SharedServices database) to update in tables the values as well.

Out of my curiosity, how are you migrating SAS? Lift-and-shift? Re-installation? SAS Migration Utility? SAS Manual Promotion (export and import)?

sharon4pal
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi JuanS,
Thank you for your response.
It's a lift and shift.
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Thank you @sharon4pal . Should I understand you and @sharafadeen work together in the same company/project?

In this case, my recommendation stands.

1- you can give a try to update hostname and ip with the SDM tool named Update Hostnames

2- Afterwards, check in the metadata and mainly in the files (libnames in SAS code/autoexecs, configuration files, etc)

3- Check firewall and DNS configurations (in server and in the network), and permissions set in databases. For the firewall, check always first with ping and telnet (or similar tools).

4- Align with SAS Technical Support if still does not work completely, as it might some additional updates in WIP database, but it would be better to do it with Tech Support.

Of course, after every iteration, validate as much as you can. Motto here is "test, test, test".

You can temporary workaround the DNS resolution, by adding a line in /etc/hosts (UNIX) or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows), but this can help only with hostname (short and FQDN) and DNS aliases. If the communication has defined the IP instead, this won't work.

Best regards,

Juan

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation