BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
newtolinux
Obsidian | Level 7

Can you create a metadata bound library from an existing library, and if so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
anja
SAS Employee

Hi

Given that you do have the permissions set, could you try and create a new lib under /system/secured libraries in the FOLDERS tab, and point that to the same folder you pointed your "regular" metadata lib, created in the lib manager?

Then all you would have to do it protect it with a pwd.

Your permissions with RM and WM are sufficiant for bounding.

- OS data has to be ready/available, which it should be, given that you created the lib metadata object.

- your permissions are already set correctly with RM and WM

- in the /system/secured libraries (FOLDERS tab), you create the new lib by pointing to the same path that's being assigned to the lib created in Lib Manager

- assign a pwd

that creates your bound lib.

One thing I'd like to mention when you create a bound lib:

if you start with creating a metadata object in the lib manager, and use - for example - the sasdemo account (external restricted account), and then afterwards try to create a bound lib in the SAS Folders, you'll run into a permission error.

This happens because the metadata server cashed your credentials. To fix this, go to FILE, CLEAR CREDENTIALS CASH.

Does that answer your question, does that help?

Thanks

Anja

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
anja
SAS Employee

Hi there,

Metadata-Bound libraries can either be created via SASMC, or via code.

Please take a look at
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/seclibag/66930/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1t76vny0n5g4an1t...

for further info

When creating Metadata-bound libraries, it is also important to make sure permissions are in place:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/seclibag/66930/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0w78wsld3vwkjn1c...

Please let me know if this helps

Anja

anja
SAS Employee

Hi .. sorry .. i hit POST too quickly .. your question was whether you can create a metadata bound lib with a lib already existing.

You can use PROC AUTHLIB and bind the lib name that you created in SASMC

See http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/seclibag/66930/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0ey28yc2pivq1n1n...

newtolinux
Obsidian | Level 7

And I failed to mention that I had not created a "Secured Folder" location(the datasets currently reside in "plain" metadata folders - is this still necessary/desirable?

Thanks.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

do you have permissions set up on your metadata lib and the SAS folders?

In order for this to work, you'd have to set up permissions to the folders first (lib has to be accessable as well).

Once this is set, the metadata-bound lib can be set up.

What are the permissions right now on the folders? Is it using the default that's coming from SASUSERS set in

the DefaultACT?

Thanks

Anja

newtolinux
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, Anja. Yes. right now I have access restricted to the subset of users (and DENY for SASUSERS and PUBLIC) for the "plain" metadata folders in question. The end users just have "Read Metadata" and "Read" through use of an ACT.

Hope this helps,

anja
SAS Employee

Hi

Given that you do have the permissions set, could you try and create a new lib under /system/secured libraries in the FOLDERS tab, and point that to the same folder you pointed your "regular" metadata lib, created in the lib manager?

Then all you would have to do it protect it with a pwd.

Your permissions with RM and WM are sufficiant for bounding.

- OS data has to be ready/available, which it should be, given that you created the lib metadata object.

- your permissions are already set correctly with RM and WM

- in the /system/secured libraries (FOLDERS tab), you create the new lib by pointing to the same path that's being assigned to the lib created in Lib Manager

- assign a pwd

that creates your bound lib.

One thing I'd like to mention when you create a bound lib:

if you start with creating a metadata object in the lib manager, and use - for example - the sasdemo account (external restricted account), and then afterwards try to create a bound lib in the SAS Folders, you'll run into a permission error.

This happens because the metadata server cashed your credentials. To fix this, go to FILE, CLEAR CREDENTIALS CASH.

Does that answer your question, does that help?

Thanks

Anja

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation