BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sergie89
Quartz | Level 8

Hello all,

We want to be able to export data from SAS 9.4 (Windows) to VIYA with the correct encoding. So, we want to convert encoding on SAS 9.4 (Windows) environment from LATIN1 to UTF8. I am curious what the main points are that we have to check in an existing environment before the change. 

Thanks in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

As much as I understand it, encoding LATIN1 is partial to UTF8.

By UTF8 you can cover more languages and at same time use native encoding to many server-client SAS environments.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User
Question #1: does your data contain characters that lie in the ranges for UTF sequence starters? These need to be transcoded and will need more space (increase the defined length of the variables).
#2 do you use characters in the range 128-140 (the first 32 of the "upper" half). These are part of the Windows 1252 codepage, but not the standard WLATIN1.
sergie89
Quartz | Level 8

Hello @Kurt_Bremser ,

Thank you for your reply. Could you give me a little more explanation about UTF sequence starters ?  I've read that all WLATIN1 characters can be transcoded to UTF-8. A transcoding error or warning means that the character variable is not long enough to hold the UTF-8 representation of those characters. 

I found this url: https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.5&docsetId=nlsref&docsetTarget=n15e3...

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I suggest you study the Wikipedia article on UTF-8.

It shows you all the characters not available as single bytes when UTF-8 is used. If no such characters are used in your data, you can leave character lengths as they are.

doug_sas
SAS Employee

Not sure if this would help: https://www.pharmasug.org/proceedings/2016/BB/PharmaSUG-2016-BB15.pdf

Essentially, if you go from any single byte encoding to UTF8, your character data may expand since a character in the single byte encoding may turn into a multi-byte character in UTF8.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation