BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AliZiya
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, 

We are using sas eg 9.4 on our clients. We are using here TERADATA to connect the database. And we have libname options here. Our clients changed the encoding of TERADATA to utf-8. Then our words on tables are corrupted. The letters for example: i,ö,ş seems like corrupted. 

We had changed the sas.v9.cfg encoding as UTF-8. Also, the clispb.dat file which we are using connect the database added new properties as charset=utf8. 

But after this changes, Nothing has changed on our tables. Can you help us?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@AliZiya 

I'm not sure what you got out of the links I sent!?

Did you get a chance to even read them?

"(R)DBMS Tables
........ The trick, then, is to make sure that the server knows the client’s encoding. In any case, as long as the SAS session encoding is equivalent to the RDBMS client encoding value, there is no data loss.
Each RDBMS client software application has its own way of being configured with the client application encoding. Client variables ensure that the transcoding from the database encoding to the client’s encoding works correctly. See the following table for illustration.

RDBMS: Teradata

RDBMS client variable(s): charset_id, charset_type

Example: charset_id=UTF8, charset_type=N

1. You'll need to set the NLS_LANG on Linux, by asking your SAS Administrator to do the following

Add the following two lines to the <SASHome>/SASFoundation/9.4/bin/sasenv_local file on your SAS server

export charset_id=UTF8

export charset_type=N

2. Use SAS with UTF-8 encoding

<SASHome>/SASFoundation/9.4/bin/sas_u8

The above will ensure your utf-8 data extraction from Teradata comes over to SAS without data lose or disruption. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
onuroruc
Calcite | Level 5

I have same problem. Please help

abdullahdogan
Calcite | Level 5

I have same problem too

AliZiya
Fluorite | Level 6
Ahmed, Thanks but this links didn't change anything 😞
AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@AliZiya 

I'm not sure what you got out of the links I sent!?

Did you get a chance to even read them?

"(R)DBMS Tables
........ The trick, then, is to make sure that the server knows the client’s encoding. In any case, as long as the SAS session encoding is equivalent to the RDBMS client encoding value, there is no data loss.
Each RDBMS client software application has its own way of being configured with the client application encoding. Client variables ensure that the transcoding from the database encoding to the client’s encoding works correctly. See the following table for illustration.

RDBMS: Teradata

RDBMS client variable(s): charset_id, charset_type

Example: charset_id=UTF8, charset_type=N

1. You'll need to set the NLS_LANG on Linux, by asking your SAS Administrator to do the following

Add the following two lines to the <SASHome>/SASFoundation/9.4/bin/sasenv_local file on your SAS server

export charset_id=UTF8

export charset_type=N

2. Use SAS with UTF-8 encoding

<SASHome>/SASFoundation/9.4/bin/sas_u8

The above will ensure your utf-8 data extraction from Teradata comes over to SAS without data lose or disruption. 

AliZiya
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi Ahmed,
Thanks you for support! We are controlled the sasenv_local and problem is fixed. Beacause we have noticed that we didn't change the new path of teradata client. We changed it and its resolved.
Thanks for giving inspiring us!!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation