BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Does anyone know if is it possible to list all users and their last login time?
Also how to list when the last changes were made to all groups-add\remove users, and a description of what exactly was done?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

If you have not enabled the SAS Service Architecture to use it's built in report, you could use this program I wrote:

https://github.com/sascommunities/technical-support-code/blob/main/usage/administration/metadata_ser...

It does not read in information about group or user modifications.

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ

You'll have to elaborate on the scenario! Users of what? Base SAS, the SAS metadata server, SAS BI web clients, SAS Viya GUI-users, users that consume SAS via APIs?
Provide as much details as possible so we don't have to guess.

Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, 

Users are connecting to SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Miner, so I guess users are connecting to SAS metadata server.

The Metadata server is on Windows.

Feel free to ask additional questions if something is unclear.

Thanks in advance

MarcoGhiglieri
Obsidian | Level 7

AFAIK there's nothing working Out o the Box. For a similar audit activity, I put together some code to get users list, creation and last update dates from Metadata, and parse the Metadata server logs to get the last access timestamp.
Never gone farther with groups.

Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Marco,

Could you please share this code here in chat?

I couldn't find it in the link you post.

Thanks in advance

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi @MarcoGhiglieri @Srdjan 

I'm not sure I agree with your statement "AFAIK there's nothing working Out o the Box" here!

You'll need to put it in the correct context! It would be true if you are talking about SAS Base/SAS Foundation.

Otherwise if you are talking about the SAS Enterprise Business Intelligence platform (EBI), SAS Institute has added this sort of functionality back in SAS 9.4 M2 (Aug 2014) SAS Environment Manager Service Architecture Framework , and provided Report Center with SAS 9.4 M3 (Jul 2015) "Report Center: SAS SysAdmin's secret weapon"

@Srdjan Double check with your SAS Administrator the version and bundle of your SAS Deployment to see if the SAS Environment Manager is part of your Licensed SAS Software.

Here is a video link on how to use the Report Center: Using the SAS Environment Manager Report Center to Explore Auditing Data

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

One more link from 2016 to look into
Opening Up the SAS Environment Manager Report Center

Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately, I would say we don't have the Report Center configured.

Srdjan_0-1706014702910.png

Is there any other way to get the required data?

Kind regards

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@Srdjan 

Open this page SAS Environment Manager Service Architecture Framework 

Scroll down till you see this section

Select the link that matches your SAS deployment, and go through the initialization steps

Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much Ahmed,

We will definitely try to set up the Report Center.

For now I'm good with the code that @gwootton posted on the github.

Kind regards

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

You need to process the logs of the metadata server. Parsing those logs can be done with sas - not to difficult. Or with any other scripting language.

Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Andreas,

Could you please give me some examples of how to process the logs of the metadata server?

Thanks in advance

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

If you have not enabled the SAS Service Architecture to use it's built in report, you could use this program I wrote:

https://github.com/sascommunities/technical-support-code/blob/main/usage/administration/metadata_ser...

It does not read in information about group or user modifications.

--
Srdjan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you gwootton,

This is what I needed.
I will try another way to find information about group or user modifications.

Kind regards

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
FYI, I've updated the program to also read in the audit lines for creating and deleting users and adding and removing members from a group. This should get published to the github this evening.
--

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation