BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I am getting an "Unsupported function" error while trying to connect to SASAPP server from SASMC. So when I right click on workspace server under SASAPP and "validate" , it's throwing an "Unsupported function" error and clicking on details shows the following.

Current threshold level: All
Either there's no detailed information or you may need to enable logging at a higher threshold level.

This was working fine before:-( 

Any idea what's going on? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello @AjmalFarzam - I did not see any errors in object spawner. I did raise this to SAS tech support and here is what they mentioned and that did resolve the issue. 

"The unsupported function error will occur when the object spawner makes a call into a defunct workspace server process to collect information to display in SMC when you connect to the workspace server definition. You may be able to get around the error by connecting to the object spawner machine definition (like you were trying to do with the workspace server machine definition) and then perform a "Refresh spawner" by right clicking on the machine definition again after you have connected. Note that the "Refresh" near the top of the list of actions is not the same as the "Refresh Spawner" near the bottom of the list. The next time you are able to stop and restart the object spawner, check for any workspace server processes that are still running after you stop the object spawner and kill them as they are probably the processes causing the unsupported function to be thrown"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AjmalFarzam
SAS Employee

Hi,

Which SASApp server is returning the error? Have you checked the object spawner logs?  

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

anja
SAS Employee

Hi RupaJ,

when you say it was working fine before, something must have changed in your environment.

Did you make changes to any configuration files, or did you enable the Workspace Server logging (which should not be enabled).

Pls attach a screenshot of the exact error message.

Best,

Anja

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@anja - attached is the screenshot of the error. I masked the server names. I did enable logging once however I reverted back. Let me double check. 

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Sorry, missed the attachment

AjmalFarzam
SAS Employee

Hi, 

Can you validate the other servers successfully? 

I expect this is something to do with the changes made to enable logging, so I would double check those settings as @anja suggests. 

Can you run "WorkspaceServer.bat -dms"? Does it launch successfully? 

Do you see any errors in the Object Spawner log? 

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello @AjmalFarzam - I did not see any errors in object spawner. I did raise this to SAS tech support and here is what they mentioned and that did resolve the issue. 

"The unsupported function error will occur when the object spawner makes a call into a defunct workspace server process to collect information to display in SMC when you connect to the workspace server definition. You may be able to get around the error by connecting to the object spawner machine definition (like you were trying to do with the workspace server machine definition) and then perform a "Refresh spawner" by right clicking on the machine definition again after you have connected. Note that the "Refresh" near the top of the list of actions is not the same as the "Refresh Spawner" near the bottom of the list. The next time you are able to stop and restart the object spawner, check for any workspace server processes that are still running after you stop the object spawner and kill them as they are probably the processes causing the unsupported function to be thrown"

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation