BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Suzanne_McCoy
Fluorite | Level 6

We know EG users take a 'seat' in our SAS license.  What about the web only users?  For the IDP and SAS Studio users who do not use EG or EMiner?  Do they take up a license seat too?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I understand it, there is no licence limit on the number of SAS web clients you can have. SAS server-based licensing is done by the number of cores on the SAS application server. There is no restriction running as many web client sessions using your application server.

Given that there is no client software installed with a web client then the idea of charging by seat doesn't really make any sense and so I don't believe they are included in the seat limitation. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Suzanne_McCoy,

yours seem to be a very good and interesting question. However, after reading your question a few times, I still cannot understand well your question. Could you please rephrase it, specially the part of having a seat? I guess It has something to do with tenancy, but not sure.

Also, besides dropping your question here, and since it seems related to license, perhaps it would be a good idea if you discuss this question with your SAS contacts manager, since they are the best contact for this flavour of questions.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

I would suggest that you refer this question entirely to your SAS Account Executive (AE).

This forum might be able to provide some defaults answers, but licensing contracts are very circumstantial and are mostly negotiated on a customer by customer basis and this forum cannot comment on any licensing matters.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As I understand it, there is no licence limit on the number of SAS web clients you can have. SAS server-based licensing is done by the number of cores on the SAS application server. There is no restriction running as many web client sessions using your application server.

Given that there is no client software installed with a web client then the idea of charging by seat doesn't really make any sense and so I don't believe they are included in the seat limitation. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16
Hello @SASKiwi,

whilst in general you are right, that's not necesarily true always. There are licenses with all kind of boundaries:
- cores
- number of total named users
- number of campaigns
- number of total/annual cases
- named to a specific machine (very common and recommended on cloud deployments, for security reasons)

and problably much more I don't know and more will be created adapted to all kind of business cases.

Anyway this comment is just from my experience, I still think a contracts manager from SAS would be the best starting point for this question
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Hi @JuanS_OCS - of course you are correct. I should have clarified my post to say it is based on a "standard" BI Server - type licence on customer-provided hardware. Thanks for explaining the other types of licences.

Suzanne_McCoy
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks. Exactly what I thought but am having trouble getting my point across to a non-SAS person with questions about licenses. This response helps tremendously!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation