BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello All, 

I understand this is not a SAS question :-), however thought I could still check with experts here :-). I just completed the SAS upgrade in place from 9.4 M5 to M7. Everything went smooth, however I am getting an error when trying to connect to SAS MC with IWA authentication. 

Kerberos failure in function krb5_get_init_creds_keytab: Client 'SAS/xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.LOCAL' not found in Kerberos database (96C73A06). 

I looked up online and found the below article that talk about this issue by Stuart Rogers!

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-9-4-M7-Importance-of-UPN/ta-p/683863

Now my question is how do I create the keytab with both UPN and SPN in it? My original command was this

addent -password -p "SPN" -k 2 -e RC4-HMAC

Now if I need to add the UPN , should I just add another line in the keytab file like below?

addent -password -p "UPN" -k 2 -e RC4-HMAC

Thanks in advance for clarifying...

17 REPLIES 17
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Yes, you would repeat the addent command for each entry you wish to add to the keytab.

https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.18/doc/admin/admin_commands/ktutil.html
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks @gwootton for your response. So I did that and I still get the same error. I modified the keytab to add the UPN info and also modified the /opt/sas/config/Lev1/ level_env_usermods.sh file on the compute server to add the below and restarted the Object spawner and metadata server.

SAS_SERVICE_PRINICIPAL=UPN

export SAS_SERVICE_PRINICIPAL

Can anyone help me proceed?

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Are you able to successfully get a ticket for the UPN running kinit against the keytab?
--
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

No 😞

kinit -kt /etc/sas/SAS.keytab SAS/xxxxxx.local@xxxxxx.LOCAL
kinit: Client 'SAS/xxxxxx.local@xxxxxx.LOCAL' not found in Kerberos database while getting initial credentials

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
That looks like an SPN, not a UPN. SPN is typically something like SERVICE/hostname@REALM whereas UPN is user@REALM. So for example if I had registered SAS/host.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM to user services@EXAMPLE.COM, I'd want my keytab to contain services@EXAMPLE.COM and be able to run kinit -k it /services.keytab services successfully.
--
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@gwootton -- I completely missed this response of yours. Sorry and thanks for so clearly explaining. So here is what I and my linux admin did. The SPN and UPN wree set up the way you explained. And I tried adding the UPN to the keytab and it did not work. So what we did is to make the UPN same as the SPN which is SAS/hostname.EXAMPLE.local@EXAMPLE.LOCAL. Then using KTPASS , my linux admin generated the keytab and that worked fine, meaning I got a krb5cc_**** tciket. However when I tried to connect to SASMC/SASEG with IWA , I got this error. 

Kerberos failure in function krb5_get_init_creds_keytab: Pre-authentication failed: Invalid argument

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Is the SAS_SERVICE_PRINCIPAL in level_env_usermods.sh set to the UPN you were able to get a Kerberos credential cache with from your keytab?
--
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Alright, my linux admin got a good keytab file generated for me that worked. However my SASMC still throwing the below error while connecting. 

Kerberos failure in function krb5_get_init_creds_keytab: Pre-authentication failed: Invalid argument

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
So you are able to do a kinit for services@EXAMPLE.COM (for example) against the keytab? If you do klist -k <keytab file> does it list both the UPN and SPN (SAS/hostname@REALM)?
--
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, I am able to generate a ticket. Here is the 

kinit -kt /etc/sas/SAS.keytab SAS/sastestmd.EXAMPLE.local
 cd /tmp
 ls -ltr krb*

-rw------- 1 sasinstaller sas 1728 Dec 22 10:08 krb5cc_444600575

klist -k /etc/sas/SAS.keytab
Keytab name: FILE:/etc/sas/SAS.keytab
KVNO Principal
---- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 SAS/sastestmd.example.local@EXAMPLE.LOCAL

So I made the UPN = SPN. So both are set to "SAS/sastestmd.example.local" now. I regenerated the keytab file and was able to generate the tickets as shown above. I also restarted SAS services. SASMC/SASEG and SAS studio are throwing errors. SAS Environment Manager is working fine (with IWA). 

SASMC/SASEG is throwing below error. 

Kerberos failure in function krb5_get_init_creds_keytab: Pre-authentication failed: Invalid argument (96C73AD2).

SAS Studio is throwing this. 

Kerberos failure in function krb5_get_init_creds_keytab:​ Keytab contains no suitable keys for SAS/​sastest.​example.​local@EXAMPLE.​LOCAL (96C73AB5).

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
So SAS_SERVICE_PRINICPAL is set to SAS/sastestmd.example.local@EXAMPLE.LOCAL? The SAS Studio message appears to be referencing a different SPN (sastest instead of sastestmd).
--
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Do you need to set the  SAS_SERVICE_PRINICPAL @gwootton ? I thought that needs to be done only when your UPN is not same as your SPN. 

Yes sastest is the compute server and sastestmd is the metadata /midtier server (We have meta and midtier on the same server)

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Also does the SAS_SERVICE_PRINICPAL needs to be set up on both meta and compute tier? 

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Not setting it would be valid as well, but you mentioned you had modified level_env_usermods.sh to set that value. If you didn't go back and undo that it may be set incorrectly.

If the compute tier has it's own keytab for the Object Spawner it should be for SAS/sastest.example.local@EXAMPLE.LOCAL. If that is the same scenario (UPN=SPN) then you should not need to set SAS_SERVICE_PRINCPAL there either. If SAS/sastest.example.local@EXAMPLE.LOCAL is registered to a different UPN then you would need to set the SAS_SERVICE_PRINCPAL to the UPN there as well.
--

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation