BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rlmacdonald
Calcite | Level 5

Does anyone have a version of SAS that will read files created in SAS version 5.16 on a VAX VMS system? Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You are talking about a SAS version from the 1980s - over 30 years ago. Even worse on an obsolete operating system that I doubt still exists. You best bet is to talk to SAS Tech Support.  

alexal
SAS Employee

@SASKiwi ,

@SASKiwi wrote:

You are talking about a SAS version from the 1980s - over 30 years ago. Even worse on an obsolete operating system that I doubt still exists. You best bet is to talk to SAS Tech Support.  

We used to have machines with version 6.12, but not anymore.

rlmacdonald
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, they haven't been able to help.
ballardw
Super User

You may want to check and see if any of your sets were made into SAS transport files. These would have had to be made awhile ago and might have an XPT file extension (been ages since I looked at a VAX file system). If so you may be able to move those to your new system and import into SAS with Proc Copy.

This may be a long shot but if the files exist it may save more convoluted approaches.

OR if you have the raw text data files that were read by SAS and the code to create the SAS data sets then you could move those, update a few file related elements like paths and rerun the code to recreate the data sets.

But I may be the only person that obsessive to have the text and code ...

Barring that I second @SASKiwi on contacting SAS tech support.

rlmacdonald
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks. There is a file that is possibly a transport file (extension .bck) but it doesn't open in the SAS viewer or SAS 9.4 or a program called dbmscopy (version 7). I don't have any original text files. Thanks for the help though
Ksharp
Super User
Could try lower version engine.

libname x v6 '/tmp/sas_dataset_path/';
rlmacdonald
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks. I am not a SAS programmer, I'll ask my collaborators who can try to do this.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation