BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

We are doing an upgrade in place from SAS 9.4 M5 to 9.4 M7 on RHEL server(SAS is on Linux). I have a question on if an order has to be followed while doing the install and configuration. Should we first install and configure Meta followed by compute and then midtier? Now we have meta and midtier on the same server having their own config directories however sharing the same sashome. So after the SDW completed the installation , the SDM opened and showed 2 config directories. I chose the  meta first and went ahead with configuration and completed successfully. After that the SDM proceeded with  the mid-tier configuration. How should I proceed now? 

Also I need to start the meta services and take a backup after the metadata install and config. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @RupaJ 

You should follow the same sequence that you had followed while doing a fresh installation. If you are looking for specific order then it's as per the plan file. While installing the software binaries there isn't much dependency and the sequence wont' matter however while performing the configuration part the sequence matters and mostly it's meta first, followed by compute and mid-tier. It can be different as well, depending on what products are installed and configured at your site.

Usually it should not update the configuration for mid-tier if you have selected for meta. I am not sure on what could have happened during the update process.

For the backup, I hope you have taken a cold backup of all the tiers before the update process? If yes, that should suffice. Once the updated is completed successfully, do take another cold backup for a restore point.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @RupaJ 

You should follow the same sequence that you had followed while doing a fresh installation. If you are looking for specific order then it's as per the plan file. While installing the software binaries there isn't much dependency and the sequence wont' matter however while performing the configuration part the sequence matters and mostly it's meta first, followed by compute and mid-tier. It can be different as well, depending on what products are installed and configured at your site.

Usually it should not update the configuration for mid-tier if you have selected for meta. I am not sure on what could have happened during the update process.

For the backup, I hope you have taken a cold backup of all the tiers before the update process? If yes, that should suffice. Once the updated is completed successfully, do take another cold backup for a restore point.

Hope this helps!

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks @Anand_V for your response. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation