BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alexgouv
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,
I was wondering if SAS can be used on a cloud based server on an iPad. Additionally, if anyone has a review of how it run, looks, etc. that would be great!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

@JackHamilton wrote:
A Jupyter notebook is another possible interface. I haven't tried it, but it might work. I don't know how good/standard the Javascript implemention in iOS Safari is. The Jupyter server would have to be on a remote machine.

You might also try SAS/Studio just to see what happens. The fact SAS Institute doesn't support it doesnt mean it won't work, it only means you won't get help if it doesn't work. In the long run, it probably will work - Apple has been trying to integrate its code base across platforms, but they are not there yet.

You can use Chrome on an iPad and I'm pretty sure Jupyter notebooks work fine on the iPad as well.

FYI - I have a regular iPad (4th gen), not an iPad Pro and it works so I'd assume that the Pro was much better.

Editor's note: SAS OnDemand for Academics is not officially supported on the iPad -- even if you find it technically works. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @alexgouv ,

You haven't mentioned what kind of tasks you want to perform by deploying SAS on cloud based server. SAS has Mobile BI app for iOS using which you can view reports created on SAS Visual Analytics.

Here is the link for the documentation: http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/mobile_bi/index.html

Thanks!

alexgouv
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,

I was wondering if SAS is able to run on a cloud based server on an iPad. Also if anyone has some insight on performance, look, etc. that would be great!
VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

@alexgouv please don't post the same question more that once.  you spam the community when you double post.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/SAS-on-iPad/m-p/580413

Reeza
Super User

Yes and No.

You can access SAS via cloud solutions such as running it on AWS or Academics on Demand on an iPad. You would access it via a browser, Safari or Chrome will likely work. I highly suspect you can't install it and run it directly off the iPad. 

If you want to test it out sign up for a free Independent Learner account on SAS Academics on Demand and you can test it out. I just did -it's a bit painful but works fine. You'll definitely want a keyboard with that. 

@alexgouv wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if SAS is able to run on a cloud based server on an iPad. Also if anyone has some insight on performance, look, etc. that would be great!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As far as I'm aware the only SAS programming interface that runs on Apple computers is SAS Studio and that is only supported on OS X using Apple Safari 6.0+. Since the iPad doesn't run OS X, that counts SAS Studio out.

See SAS Studio requirements here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikstudiosr/72749/PDF/default/sreq.pdf

JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
A Jupyter notebook is another possible interface. I haven't tried it, but it might work. I don't know how good/standard the Javascript implemention in iOS Safari is. The Jupyter server would have to be on a remote machine.

You might also try SAS/Studio just to see what happens. The fact SAS Institute doesn't support it doesnt mean it won't work, it only means you won't get help if it doesn't work. In the long run, it probably will work - Apple has been trying to integrate its code base across platforms, but they are not there yet.
Reeza
Super User

@JackHamilton wrote:

You can use Chrome on an iPad and I'm pretty sure Jupyter notebooks work fine on the iPad as well.

FYI - I have a regular iPad (4th gen), not an iPad Pro and it works so I'd assume that the Pro was much better.

Editor's note: SAS OnDemand for Academics is not officially supported on the iPad -- even if you find it technically works. 

alexgouv
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza and @JackHamilton 

Thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure it ran reasonably well before I bought one but I'll definitely test it out at the Apple Store beforehand!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 7 in conversation