BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

I'm running on SAS 9.3 TS1M2, X64_7PRO

I keep having an issue where when I open a table to view SAS will hang and the application will need to be terminated. Any unsaved code up to this point will be lost.

I have vague recollections of seeing a hotfix for this but can't find anything via google. If someone could point me in the right direction, either a hotfix or solution that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LeeHerman
SAS Employee

Hi Reeza, this looks like a problem for SAS Technical Support: Technical Support Form

Lee

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I've had some problems similar to this.

What is the message that appears when this happens ? If is there any message ?

Could you post a picture of this problem ?

Tks,

Dartibali Rodrigo

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Try to find something in here.

Fix List

Att,

Dartibali Rodrigo

Reeza
Super User

There are no error messages

The NOT RESPONDING windows message appears in the header. 

DELETE - SAS Hang Pic.png

LeeHerman
SAS Employee

Hi Reeza, this looks like a problem for SAS Technical Support: Technical Support Form

Lee

Reeza
Super User

I can't open a ticket, my site admin is required to do so.

Thanks Smiley Happy

LeeHerman
SAS Employee

I understand, probably still the thing to do. Good luck!

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

51501 - SAS® VIEWTABLE might hang when trying to close the window using SAS/ACCESS® Interface to Gre...

http://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/08/19/errors-that-cause-sas-to-freeze.html

Hope this helps.

If this does not help i think i know what is your problem.

Please report to me if this do not help.

My guess. When this table was created, maybe the pearson who did it used the specs of an excel spread sheet.

And when you copy the whole excel cell into any column name in SAS Editor or Create Wizard Table, All SAS Applications Bugs When using this table.

To find out if this table is damaged, Copy its column names into a Word document and click the special character button.

If you find some column name similar to this

VAR_NAM°E

This means, that column is damaged.

SAS Applications does not recognizes special characters that comes from excel cells.

In my SAS Career i've seeing this twice in DI and Visual Analytics, but there are diferent behaviors between SAS Applications.

Like DI freezes and you can't connect this table to other boxes, VA Gets error message saying that you can't use this table.

Hope This Help Reeza.

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This can happen in SAS Editor too.

Reeza
Super User

Thanks, but neither of those are the issues. I can open the table and then suddenly I can't and it hangs. There is no SAS error generated, the SAS application freezes essentially.

I thought it might be a timeout issue and there's a way to set SAS options to wait a bit longer longer before timing out?  I'll let my admin handle it from here but thanks for the response!

ballardw
Super User

If you haven't already tried this: See if moving and/or resizing the SAS application window reveals a dialog box. There are some conditions that I haven't been able to duplicate but occasionally with a SAS "freeze" I have found moving the application window sometimes reveals a dialog box that for some reason has the SAS focus but wasn't visible. One of these has shown text similar to "Automation error" and clicking on OK closes the window and SAS resumes, though the task failed.

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, Like i said.

The column names should be damaged, Try to run a proc contents to see if there is anything strange in it.

I'm 90% sure that is a excel problem.

One question, You said, you can open it, but if use or see it again SAS Freezes, right?

Att

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

If so, you must find a way to get the column names "FROM SAS" and figure it out which column or table name is damaged.

https://books.google.com.mx/books?id=WKg8qUOyu0YC&pg=PT72&lpg=PT72&dq=sas+excel+special+character+in...

Look in this link.

One more, try to rename all column names to see if it still bugs.

DartRodrigo
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

This table was created from a Specification in Excel Spread Sheet ?

If so, The whole cells were copied to SAS ?

If so, it is probabily that there is a special character in One of the column names.

This issue is similar one i had with SAS Data Integration, where i copied all column names to the cells of DI.

When i tried to use this table, DI kept freezing and you couldn't connect this tables to other boxes.

http://www.lexjansen.com/nesug/nesug10/ff/ff04.pdf

In this link you can see how SAS handles with special characters.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation