BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ChristophSchnelle
Calcite | Level 5

Windows 7 64-bit edition i5 processor 20Gb Ram.

I installed Oracle Virtual box and imported SAS University Edition.

First startup: VT-x not detected so I added "Intel virtualization technology" in the BIOS.

Second startup "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU." after choosing F12+1) boot from Hard disk or F12+b) continue booting or just booting without F12.

This is unexpected. Do you have any advice?

Warm Regards, Christoph

6 REPLIES 6
ChristophSchnelle
Calcite | Level 5

I found the answer - on importing into Oracle VirtualBox make sure you select Ubuntu 64bit. VirtualBox seems to choose either RedHat or Ubuntu 32bit unless you correct it.

jaroos
Calcite | Level 5

I selected Ubuntu 64bit while importing but that didn't solve it. What does your general tab show? Does it give you an option for Ubuntu (64 bit) ... not on mine. Any other solutions?

akin24
Calcite | Level 5

Solved my problem. Thank you. You need to delete some files though before it works.

Gansas
Calcite | Level 5

Right click on default RedHat 64 or Ubuntu 32bit while importing the SAS university edition file from downloads and select your operating system in the drop down menu. Please make sure you restart the computer after all required settings. I hope this will help you guys.

Attri
Calcite | Level 5

Trust you're all enjoying learning SAS.

I have Dell laptop which originally came with XP but now I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on that.

Does that matter when I'm installing Virtual Box and/or using SAS University Edition?

Also, I've tried different combinations of 32 & 64 bit with RedHat and Ubuntu but nothing is working. Still stuck at 'This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU'.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Attri

LeeHerman
SAS Employee

If you are running on 32-bit hardware, you'll need a 32-bit version of Virtual Box that supports 64-bit guests. The Virtual Box software has to run on your hardware, with 32-bit software if that is what your machine is. SAS University Edition only runs in 64-bit, but Virtual Box simulates that. If you are still having trouble, please contact SAS Technical Support for assistance.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation