BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jeanessa
Calcite | Level 5

Greetings,

I am trying to copy over the SAS Personal Login Manager from 1 PC to another, so that i can be used on the new PC.  Right Now SAS EG is installed on the PC.   I would like to copy over my SAS Personal Manager over so I can use it on the new PC.

Anyone out there know how to do this?

A million heart felt thanks.

Jeanessa

19 REPLIES 19
SASKiwi
PROC Star

AFAIK, SAS Personal Login Manager would have to be installed from a SAS Software Depot like any other SAS client software. Talk to your SAS administrator if you are unfamiliar with this.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @Jeanessa 

You will have to install it like any other application. I don't think you can just copy it.

Also, you can manage your password using EG itself.

– Select Tools->SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer. The SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer windows appears.
– Select File->Manage Logins. The Login Manager window appears.

The Login Manager window works very similarly to the Personal Login Manager application.

SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

@Anand_V 

Any idea where to find this option in SAS EG 8.3? I could not find SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer under tools menu.

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I don't think it's available directly from EG anymore. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SASHome\x86\SASEnterpriseGuide\8 (or wherever EG is installed) and look for SEGExplorer.exe.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks!
Wondering if there is a way to managing the logins from within SAS EG itself?
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Not with 8.3 as far as I can see. But the old SAS Enterprise Guide Explorer option in the Tools menu just opened SEGExplorer.exe anyway.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8
You're right, I couldn't find it either from within SAS EG. However SAS EG Explorer is there in the SAS EG's installation directory.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS EG Explorer disappeared from EG several versions ago. Just maintaining your user account and password in the EG connection profile is current practice.

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
That's fine for your DefaultAuth account, but if you have accounts for other Auth Domains (eg. to connect to external databases) I don't think you can maintain them in the EG Connection Profile. However, SAS EG Explorer is still there in the installation, just not directly accessible from EG itself.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

While EG Explorer install files may be still present I'm not aware of any way to invoke it. If you use different AuthDomains then I suspect you would need to create separate connection profiles for each one with EG 8. 

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Not sure how creating a different connection profile for access to a database would work because you'd not have a valid connection to SAS.. If I need to I run EG Explorer from File Explorer:

image.png

SASKiwi
PROC Star

That's interesting. Didn't know you could run it that way. Works for me too! So even though it is deprecated, it is still usable.

Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Is it definitely deprecated? Not quite sure how one could manage logins other than DefaultAuth ones without it, apart from PLM. Would be good to get a view from someone at SAS. How about @ChrisHemedinger?

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The tool was removed from the main SAS EG interface because SAS Management Console and Personal Login Manager are the official tools for viewing/managing these metadata-based items. However, as you point out, the application is still in the install directory and can be used. I wouldn't expect SAS Tech Support to direct you to it (because they will recommend the other apps I mentioned), but I don't see any harm in using SAS EG Explorer if it's convenient.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 6 in conversation