BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Good to see SAS now has its own fully-fledged workload and scheduling tool for grid computing.

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2019/01/22/native-scheduler-new-types-of-workloads-and-more-introd...

What I would like to know is this tool also available in non-grid SAS installations of SAS 9.4M6 where its scheduling capabilities appear to be a complete replacement for LSF? In my view this would be a major improvement as it would remove the requirement to install Platform Process Manager separately.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
doug_sas
SAS Employee

You can buy SAS Job Flow Scheduler to do single machine scheduling just like you could have bought Platform Suite for SAS to do the same in the past.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
doug_sas
SAS Employee

You can buy SAS Job Flow Scheduler to do single machine scheduling just like you could have bought Platform Suite for SAS to do the same in the past.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

And it's not included in any of the Data Integration/Data Management Server offerings? (has to be ordered sperately)

Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

At my current site (M4), we have the SAS Scheduling Server installed. My guess it came (in our case) with the Risk & Financial Workbench. 

And I would be careful calling it "fully fledged" until I got to see the full feature list explained.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@LinusH - that thought had occurred to me too. What would be good is a feature list comparison between the two products.

doug_sas
SAS Employee

I can give a feature comparison for SAS Workload Orchestrator vs LSF vs YARN (from my upcoming SGF 2019 presentation):

Feature

SAS Workload Orchestrator

Platform LSF

Hadoop YARN

Preemptable priority queue-based scheduling

Yes

Yes

Yes

Fairshare based scheduling

No

Yes

Yes

Host selection by sorting on dynamic resources values

Yes

Yes

No

Host selection by static accounting

Yes

No

Yes

Job preemption by suspension

Yes

Yes

No

Pluggable scheduling logic

No

No

Yes

Time-based queue configuration

Yes

Yes

No

Time-based host configuration

Yes

Yes

No

Time-based hostgroup configuration

No

Yes

No

Time-based usergroup configuration

No

Yes

No

Time based configuration time definition

Cron Expression

Day of week, time of day

N/A

Scheduling based on dynamic resources

Yes

Yes

No

User-defined resources

Yes

Yes

No

Scheduling thresholds based on resources

Yes

Yes

No

Suspension thresholds based on resources

Yes

Yes

No

Scheduling dispatch windows

Yes

Yes

No

Queue active job limits

Yes

Yes

No

Terminate jobs when limit exceeded

Yes

Yes

No

Job request specifies minimum resource requirements

Yes

Yes

No

Job request specifies consumable resource requirements

Yes

Yes

Yes

Job request specifies Boolean resources

Yes

Yes

Yes

Job owner

Authenticated user on job submission

Process owner of job submission

Authenticated user on job submission

Authentication

Username/password, Kerberos

Process owner

Kerberos

Data-in-motion security

SSL

Proprietary

SSL

Data-at-Rest security

File based permissions. Sensitive data encrypted using AES128 with key derived from site-defined password (SHA256, 10000 iterations)

File based permissions. Sensitive data encrypted with internally defined key, AES128

File-based permissions.

End-to-end Kerberos to run jobs

Yes

No

No

Type of jobs that can be run

Any

SAS only

Any

Embedded GUI

Yes

No

Yes

Dynamic configuration

Yes

No

No

REST-API Based

Yes

No

Yes

Configuration files

One

Multiple

Multiple

Ability to start/stop VMs as needed

No

Yes

No

Support parallel jobs

No

Yes

Yes

Ability to change job information before it gets into the queue

Yes

Yes

No

Supported Operating Systems

Windows X64, Linux X64

All SAS v9 Windows and UNIX server platforms

Linux X64

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @doug_sas  , many thanks for sharing, very useful. 

While there might some items that are not fully clear to me, it catched my especial attention the fact that "Support parallel jobs" is not available.... Would not this be a problem for SAS Grid Manager deployments? How is this currently worked around?

doug_sas
SAS Employee

SAS Grid Manager creates single jobs. Parallel SAS programming requires multiple grid-enabled SAS/CONNECT SIGNONs which each are a single job.

Parallel jobs would be to support a job that uses something like MPI across multiple machines. For that we have Viya's Cloud Analytic Services.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @doug_sas , thank you.

Makes sense, but i don't feel as the question is answered. Please bear with me and let me rephrase it:

How are the current SAS Grid Manager users (of SAS Grid Manager for Platform, on M6, or SAS Grid Manager, prior to M6), going to manage now the that lack of capability for "Support parallel jobs" which was present before? Between all the improvements, this fact seems to me as a big point of attention.

I mean, and please correct me if I am wrong ... it is basically the main feature of SAS Grid Manager so far. But not it won't be there. The current SAS Grid Manager environment will require SAS Viya in order to use this functionality. Is this understanding correct? 

doug_sas
SAS Employee

The 'support parallel jobs' feature listed in the table means the ability to submit to the workload manager a single job request that results in multiple processes being started on multiple machines. This would be used, for example, to start an MPI job on the grid that spans multiple machines.

SAS Grid Manager has never used parallel jobs or something like MPI to do its work. Parallelism in SAS code is done via SAS/CONNECT. SAS code would start multiple CONNECT servers using grid-enabled SIGNON statements which results in a single grid job for each server process. The SAS code would then submit SAS code to each server using the RSUBMIT/ENDRSUBMIT statements. Assuming the RSUBMITs set the option to process the remote code asynchronously, all the code on all servers execute in parallel. You still get the parallelism, but it is not done via a single job request - it is done through multiple job requests.

So 'parallel jobs' are not needed to be able to run parallel SAS code. Actually SAS/CONNECT allows you to run parallel SAS code without needing SAS Grid Manager.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@doug_sas - Great feature summary.

What is of most interest is how SGM integrates with SAS versus how LSF does it. For example it is annoying when in SAS Management Console you have to log in a second time to do any scheduling. Also in SMC you can set up and/or run a scheduled job but you have to switch to Platform Process Manager to get the status of these jobs (running or not, successful or not). Having all scheduling functionality in one interface would be a big improvement.

superdev321
Calcite | Level 5

@SASKiwi wrote:

Good to see SAS now has its own fully-fledged workload and scheduling tool for grid computing.

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2019/01/22/native-scheduler-new-types-of-workloads-and-more-introducin...

What I would like to know is this tool also available in non-grid SAS installations of SAS 9.4M6 where its scheduling capabilities appear to be a complete replacement for LSF? In my view this would be a major improvement as it would remove the requirement to install Platform Process Manager separately.

Yeah I was searching for this information as well. I am not a professional but I've had a feeling that getting rid of PPM may increase performance.

doug_sas
SAS Employee

You can buy SAS Job Flow Scheduler as a single machine scheduler.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 21 likes
  • 5 in conversation