BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Slash
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, guys!

I have two questions, hope you can give me a little help!

First one:

The libraries which defined in SAS MC can be used in SAS EG, why it's invisible in EM client? I use the same sas user to login the EG and EM.

The environment:

• SAS 9.3 with Enterprise Miner 7.1 are deployed in Microsoft Server 2008;
  • EM Client 7.1 installed on Client Machine which is Windows 7;
  • EG 5.1 installen on Client Machine which is Windows 7;

Here is EG can use the libraries defined in SAS MC.

QQ图片20150524124536.png

Here is EM Client can use the libraries defined in SAS MC.

QQ图片20150524124404.png

Can anyone tell me how defined the libraries that can be used in EM Client?

The second one:

In SAS MC you can use the "USER ROLE" to control which task can be  used in SAS EG, which can't. Is there a way to do the same thing with EM Node?

QQ图片20150524133349.jpg

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Ok and thanks for you remark slash. " the Client don't want the EM user import local data" is most likely indicating the misalignment of IT / users. 
This situation of limiting usage is often becoming a topic where IT people are involved to deliver the toolset (SAS Eminer) but not really aligned with data-governance data-security and the data-mining process.
The failure of understanding the mining process could be the reason they don't want to see the "file-import node EM". There is a file-import in Eguide (not to be blocked) an a filetransfer in EGuide (not to be blocked).Dataminers will need OS level access. Please, do not use shared accounts on the OS even when IT staff are wanting to do that.

Of course will you be able to end your tool implementation project with all those IT limitations. What will happen next is that data-miners get very unhappy and find thier way to other solutions eg downloading data on their desktop and doing the mining with the free tools that can be downloaded. All covered by their bosses because SAS is rubbish and outdated (real life experiences shadow-it) .
Needing to have data secured you need all tool starting at the OS level doing that.   

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You need to understand some concepts and assumptions.
1/ Eguide is a swiss-knife, targeted for a lot of user of types of users. Eminer is a dedicated tool for predictive analytics / modeling. That is a huge difference.

There is no need to limit the menu's (menu-tailoring) in Eminer as that can be the case for Eguide.

A good start for menutailoring tools is SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Desktop Application Administration Guide, Fourth Edition (libraries)  and the capabilities SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Desktop Application Administration Guide, Fourth Edition

I use the word menu-tailoring and that is what your functions/restricted is about.  Menu-tailoring is definitely not security although many are mixing those up.
This mistake SAS also makes. The roles of the security are now named capabilities (that is better) SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Security Administration Guide, Second Edition

Role-based-security is not menu-tailoring and should not be mixed up that way. Only adjusting menu-s will leave you all freedom to code what you like.
Roles are more functionality segregation as in SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide, Third Edition 

You are using the same user for Eminer and Eguide that is just half of the needed requirement to be equal. They must also use the same appserver-WS on the same machine.
As Eminer work is seen as possible heavy load by IT people, I see a lost of posts differentiating EGuide en EMiner by different machines.
That makes no sense in the data preparation for the Mining (Semma) process as that data preparation is assumed to be done with EGuide. Eguide  is part of the miner license (as is jmp?). Be aware of that Eminer will generate a lot of files on the OS system for all diagrams and nodes with that automated approach. To have that all on RDBMS is an incorrect idea.
Are they on the same machine/same user?

Not really interesting as you can define libraries with Eguide and must define the data-sources with Eminer. For that you can adjust to initial startup code with Eminer to have the libnames you are needing. The ones that are result of the preparation. Not need to have a admin-guy to do that for you. You can do it yourself.  Only someone to tell what is happing and why is needed.  There is some lack in a fundamental concept document    

Slash
Quartz | Level 8

Thankyou very much! Because the libraries defined in SAS MC are not pre-assigned, so it's invisible in EM Client.

And Why I want to limit the menus in EM, because the Client don't want the EM user import local data to EM by using the "File Import Node". So I try to find a way to limit that. Is there a way can do that?

gergely_batho
SAS Employee

For your first question: As Jaap mentioned, it is possible, that EG and EM connect to different Workspace Servers.

Another possibility is that EM "does not see" metadata defined libraries, only those that are pre-assigned.

When you log-in with EG pre-assigned libraries are yellow, non-pre-assigned libraries are white.

It is a single click in MC to pre-assign a library.

Slash
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, If I select the "pre-assigned" property of the libraries, they can be used in EM.Smiley Happy

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Ok and thanks for you remark slash. " the Client don't want the EM user import local data" is most likely indicating the misalignment of IT / users. 
This situation of limiting usage is often becoming a topic where IT people are involved to deliver the toolset (SAS Eminer) but not really aligned with data-governance data-security and the data-mining process.
The failure of understanding the mining process could be the reason they don't want to see the "file-import node EM". There is a file-import in Eguide (not to be blocked) an a filetransfer in EGuide (not to be blocked).Dataminers will need OS level access. Please, do not use shared accounts on the OS even when IT staff are wanting to do that.

Of course will you be able to end your tool implementation project with all those IT limitations. What will happen next is that data-miners get very unhappy and find thier way to other solutions eg downloading data on their desktop and doing the mining with the free tools that can be downloaded. All covered by their bosses because SAS is rubbish and outdated (real life experiences shadow-it) .
Needing to have data secured you need all tool starting at the OS level doing that.   

Slash
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, Mr. Karman. I know what to do now.Smiley Happy

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation