BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

We have recently implemented SAS and please let me know what are the different ways to promote the content from Dev to Prod environment.  Pointers to any documents are also appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Just right click on the item you wish to export.
The export file can be saved wherever you feel works for you, it's handy if that location is accessible from the target environment.
.sas files are stored in the default location in your SAS configuration directory.
I sugest that you browse the documentation and papers on the subject.
Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Quentin
Super User

I don't think you've given enough information for people to be able to help you.  What sort of environment are you working in?  How is it structured? etc.  Some people separate /DEV and /PROD code just with different directories. So promotion can mean as little as copying a file.  Other folks have separate servers for /DEV and /PROD.   Plenty of folks use different version control tools.  So there isn't a single way in SAS to promote code.

Perhaps it would help if you describe how you handle promotions of non-SAS code in your environment.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

We have dev on different server and prod on a different server. SAS is installed on Linux and clients on windows. We use tools like winscp for copying the files to and fro from the server`

Quentin
Super User
And when you say promote SAS code from dev to prod, you mean just .sas files? Or will you need to promote other content (e.g. SAS metadata for stored processes, DI jobs, etc.).

You have a DEV Linux server and a PROD Linux server? Then one way to promote .sas files would be to script copying files between the two servers. It's possible this could be done with SAS, but probably there are better utilities. As I don't have separate servers for DEV and PROD (sigh), I haven't played with this much. Will look for comments from others.
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Both Dev and Prod are linux servers. Developers will develop the code only in dev environment and the same code has to be moved to Prod. I mean everything such as .sas files, Metadata of the sas content.

ghiglie
SAS Employee

If your Dev and Production environments have been installed and maintained as it's meant to be by Change management best practices, you should normally just copy the SAS pgms through servers. Eventually, if there are some naming or similar differences, it should be managed by code.

Same for metadata objects, but normally it's done manually by the Administrator.

You can refer here.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would strongly recommend you consider using change management tools that can not only automatically deploy from Dev to Prod but also track, trace and secure all of your SAS code development. For medium to large projects where there are more than just a handful of programs, and program sizes are creeping up into thousands of lines then I'd say such tools become both essential and best practice.

Most likely your organisation is already using such tools so I would check those out first.  

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Copying. Sas files between environments is not best practice.
You normally use the metadata export and import tools. In the target environment you will deploy the jobs for scheduling which will create new .Sas files adopted to the metadata in that environment.
Data never sleeps
ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks LinusH.

What are the tools that can be used for metadata export and import?

Where the metadata and .sas files are saved/stored?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Just right click on the item you wish to export.
The export file can be saved wherever you feel works for you, it's handy if that location is accessible from the target environment.
.sas files are stored in the default location in your SAS configuration directory.
I sugest that you browse the documentation and papers on the subject.
Data never sleeps

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation