BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASNewbie
Fluorite | Level 6

Greetings,

Newbie here, need information if it is ok or possible to install SAS Base 9.3 and SAS Data Integration Studio 4.4 all in one computer?

Would there be any issues if both are installed together? If the answer is yes, what is the right sequence for installing both? Appreciate the help .

Thanks and regards,

Carl G.

9 REPLIES 9
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

that is totally not a problem, actually a requirement. Just ensure you have both components in your license, but that how it should be by default in most scenarios.

Regards,

Juan

SASNewbie
Fluorite | Level 6

Whoaw that was quick! Yeah sure let me give it a try and if I encounter anything I will immediately post a reply. I have another question though cause I already have Data Integration installed in my laptop, should I need to uninstall DI before I install the base software or is it ok to install the base software directly? Thanks!

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I just want to adjust @JuanS_OCS a little bit (hope you dn't mind).

DI Studio is a "thin" (if you can call a locally installed Java application thin) client. It requires a SAS server licensed with Data Integration server/Data Management Standard/Advanced. No Base SAS needs to be installed on the same machine. In larger DIS sites this quite unusual. It's more common to pair DI Studio with Enterprise Guide as an add on tool for the DI developer.

To use Base (or DMS SAS) you need to use SAS/CONNECT to assign to the SAS server, and constantly use RSUBMIT. Not worth it if you ask me. And nowadays (9.4 unfortunately in your case) I think you could SAS Studio (a really thin client) as complement to DIS.

Data never sleeps
SASNewbie
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Linus,

Thanks for the detailed reply, the reason why I am planning to install the SAS base software in addition to the current SAS DI that I have  is bec. I need the SAS API to be visible as reference in VB. The reason why is, because I am planning to automate the creation of transformation jobs which we originally create manually in SAS DI. Could you help me if I am making the right decision ? You mentioned something about DI Studio with enterprise guide, if I get this installed instead of SAS base shall I have the capability that I need to do SAS dev. via VB. As you can see I am really new to this. Hope you can help add more clarity to this. I appreciate the help.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @SASNewbie,

the project you are about to start seems to be technically very interesting to me.

From the business point of view, and as Linus mentioned, I cannot see that this will reduce the time for creating the jobs (and their later maintenance!). Also:

Besides this comment, the DI transformations are defined within the SAS Metadata (therefore in the Metadata server). This project involves some "hacking" of the metadata server, which is a risk. I have seen successful stories, always from people they really know what they do. And very sad stories from people they were not 100% sure about this.

Consider this is not common practice, and not officially supported by SAS. Meaning: if you have a problem, they can try to help you, but they cannot ensure s solution for you or continued support. Therefore, if you are not an expert on this that can create and maintain this code on a safe way, you introduce an important risk.

If you are not sure and you will be learning "on-the-go", I would advise to contact an expert on the area, otherwise change this initiative to a more secure one. Not my intention to stop the project, just let you know the impact so you can evaluate and select what is best for you. Anyway, I would strongly advise to contact your SAS Technical Support or representative, they can help and guide you through the best options 🙂

@LinusH, no problem with the adjustment. Actually, thanks 🙂

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Thanks for elaborating around your requirement.
Sadly I have no input regarding creating Metadata outside DIS. Sounds like you are about to create some add on software. If not my gut feeling is I can't see that a single project could get ROI from such a investment.
Either way I would recommend to upgrade to 9.4 since there have been some changes/additions to the Metadata and DIS.
Good luck (and feel free to get back and share your experiences).
Data never sleeps
anja
SAS Employee

Hi.

Do you have SAS Integration Technologies licensed?

Thanks

Anja

SASNewbie
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Guys,

I appreciate the replies, as for Anja yes I have Integration technologies license and installer which I will be using via probably SAS Workspace/IOMProvider API to develop the app.  Not sure at the moment but will try to figure it out. Thanks!

regards,

Carl G.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

note sure this helps, but maybe it provides you with some pointers/ideas:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/itech/doc/dist-obj/winclnt/winvbpro.html

Thanks

Anja

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation