BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LJalaja
Fluorite | Level 6

Greetings,

We are running SAS 9.4 on Linux.

I am attempting to backup our SAS environment, but SAS Backup Manager is not working.

When I try to run an ad-hoc backup, I got the following error:

result
type: backup
size: 0

errorEntries

An error occurred while fetching history information.
statusCode: 603
name: ERROR_CODE_GET_HISTORY_ERROR
category: History

And the scheduled meta server backup in SASMC failed but the adhoc backup was working fine.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Thank you,
Jalaja
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Jalaja,

The Deployment Backup and Recovery Tool saves information about each backup and recovery in a BackupHistory.xml
file.  Based on the error reported by the tool it is possible that the one or more copies of this file
is damaged and the tool is unable to parse the file. 

You can check to see if this is the reason for the problem by looking at the <sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer1_1/SASDeploymentBackup9.4.log file and searching the file for:

Error Code: 603

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException

You can try renaming each copy of the file and then run your ad-hoc backup which will create a new BackupHistory.xml file although you will lose previous history information. 

Look for a copy of the BackupHistory.xml file on each tier in these locations and rename the file to something like old.BackupHistory.xml and then run the backup again.

<sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Backup/Vault
<sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Backup/dropzone/conf  (or <sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Backup/dropzone for pre 9.4M3 )

On the middle tier:

<sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/temp/SASDeploymentBackup_APPHOME

If your middle tier is clustered you would need to rename the file for each SASServer1_N instance.

If this doesn't resolve the problem then I recommend opening a track with SAS Technical Support.

Michele

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AndyForeman
SAS Employee

It is possible that your backup history file is corrupt.

Try renaming the BackupHistory.xml file to BackupHistory_old.xml in the following locations:

• The central vault location (can be located on the Policy page of the Backup Manager)
  • configuration-directory\Levn\Backup\dropzone
  • configuration-directory\Levn\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer1_XX\temp\SASDeploymentBackup_APPHOME

This will force the BackupHistory.xml files to be regenerated on the next backup. Re-run the backup and see if it completes successfully.

michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Jalaja,

The Deployment Backup and Recovery Tool saves information about each backup and recovery in a BackupHistory.xml
file.  Based on the error reported by the tool it is possible that the one or more copies of this file
is damaged and the tool is unable to parse the file. 

You can check to see if this is the reason for the problem by looking at the <sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer1_1/SASDeploymentBackup9.4.log file and searching the file for:

Error Code: 603

Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException

You can try renaming each copy of the file and then run your ad-hoc backup which will create a new BackupHistory.xml file although you will lose previous history information. 

Look for a copy of the BackupHistory.xml file on each tier in these locations and rename the file to something like old.BackupHistory.xml and then run the backup again.

<sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Backup/Vault
<sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Backup/dropzone/conf  (or <sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Backup/dropzone for pre 9.4M3 )

On the middle tier:

<sasconfigdir>/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/temp/SASDeploymentBackup_APPHOME

If your middle tier is clustered you would need to rename the file for each SASServer1_N instance.

If this doesn't resolve the problem then I recommend opening a track with SAS Technical Support.

Michele

LJalaja
Fluorite | Level 6

Greetings,

Thanks for your assistance.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation