BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Denise
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I'm trying to get started with the SAS 9 Content Assessment Tool in preparation for future cloud migration planning. 

The tool indicated (on the readme.txt file) that there are detailed instructions inside the tar file.  However, when I ran this command on Linux (tar zxvf SAS9ContentAssessment.v1.13.lax.tgz) I got a new folder named "assessment" and a file that I cannot read called "publishAssessedContent".

I'm not off to a brilliant start.  Can anyone help get me passed this hurdle?

Thanks!

Denise

6 REPLIES 6
Denise
Obsidian | Level 7

Replying to myself as I found the answer.

I transferred the file to the Linux server using FTP software and the transfer mode was set to default.  When I transferred it to the server in BINARY mode, the tar command worked much better for me.

I'd still love to hear from you if you have used this tool before!  Did you use it for the same purpose as me (cloud planning)?

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @Denise ,

great that you found the issue and solution by yourself!  🙂 I am personally learning to not react immediately to all questions, and I see it works. You deserve to mark your own post as solution!

I do use it very often, yes. I work with architecture, installation, administration, migration, etc of SAS. And I think the Content Assessment is part of a great framework. To me it helps me with:

- Assessing before an upgrade in place of migration, to know if I will have challenges, technically speaking.

- Before any migration, to know if I can migrate everything seamlessly or I need to allocate extra efforts on some items to make them work (eg, some code or components not supported for some reason)

- To beware of the inventory of code/projects, etc and assess the effort estimations of the teams involved

- Above also works great in many cases to improve performance of SAS code, and even to optimize the SAS license/contract

All in all, I must say I love this tool and all it can do for us. Kudos to the developers and product owner(s).

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Denise,

If you haven't seen it, you might find this thread and discussion helpful on the SAS 9 Content Assessment Tool...

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/The-SAS-9-Content-Assessment-Tool/ta-p/678985

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
MargaretC
SAS Employee

Here is a link to the SAS Global Forum 2021 presentation by Gary Mehler and Michelle Ryals on this topic:  Accelerate Your Migration to SAS® Viya® - SAS Support Communities 

Denise
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you!  I'm assuming that if we don't have VA licensed and installed (we do not), we need to engage SAS to help with the analysis part so we can see the reporting.

Denise
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks!  I did see this before but just reviewed it again and found the answer to my latest question regarding viewing reports when I do not have VA installed.  The answer is "Today, development has offered to help with report creation for SAS 9 Inventory, SAS 9 Profile customers that don’t have SAS Visual Analytics. Development can’t provide an expected time frame or SLA for this report creation. Demand and development bandwidth will impact turnaround time.  When customers need this help, they must be willing to share their results with SAS Technical Support for further assistance."

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 4 in conversation