BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wesas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi :

I have successfully installed lsf Platfrom process manager and Grid management serveron All nodes.

I need  few clarifications on installing SAS on these nodes.

1. SAS architercture diagram shows every node should have SAS and SAS connect. on shared file syatem SAS and SASHOME are shared. how to install this on every nodes in cluster. when I try to point to SASHOME i get a warning that file will be replaced. When I continue files will be overwritten.

2. Do I have to install SAS application server software on every node or just install it once and start services on multiples nodes since this is a shared file system.

Thanks for your reply.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wesas
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. We cannot afford SAS professional services. Hence i would like to do it.

I'll try check on configurations and  loadbalancing options .

Appreciate your response.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You can do either.

If you want a separate copy of SAS binaries (SASHOME) so you can perform rolling patching/hotfixes, then you'd want to INSTALL SAS to a non-shared file system (just make sure the path to SASHOME is the same on every node).

If you have SASHOME in a shared file system then you just install it once (to the shared location) and then start the services on all the other nodes.

wesas
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Tim for a quick repsonse.

So is the statement install once on shared file system true for having  SAS and SAS connect on all nodes as well?

Thanks again.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

As far as I know, yes.

However, there are additional configurations you will have to perform. Like modifying ObjectSpawner scripts to include the nodename in the log file name, setting up additional Object Spawners in SAS Management console, etc.

I had SAS professional services help me set up my environment.

wesas
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. We cannot afford SAS professional services. Hence i would like to do it.

I'll try check on configurations and  loadbalancing options .

Appreciate your response.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You're welcome.
rsc24_in
Fluorite | Level 6

As suggested earlier, you only need to install SAS once, in a shared filesystem mode.

All your services would be started for each node, assuming you make the configuration changes to the ObjectSpawner startup script to include the hostname for its log and pid file.

Are you looking for any specific information around this?

wesas
Fluorite | Level 6

I think the key is to get the plan file that comprises all components such as metadata server ans SAS Application server in one install. Middle tier could be a different install.

The plan file that I have is split up in to 7 steps 1. metadat server 2, metadata server optional 3  sas application server 4. grid manager Node 5. Middle tier 6 middle tier optional and 7, Clients.

Now I have installed SAS in 2 steps 1. metadata server and 2. SAS Application Server.

I need to make configuration updates to start services on different nodes.

Do you have any insights other than following instructions.html for the SAS application server configuration?

Thanks.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation