BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
kcpython
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello everyone, I'm deploying a SAS Grid, 3 metadata/middle nodes in quorum and 5 compute nodes.  In my pre-installation checklist, it says that if your system uses an authentication other than /etc/passwd or /etc/shadowm you must configure authentication before you being your SAS software deployment. ... We are not ready to use our LDAP for this SAS Grid deployment, yet.  How hard would it be to convert our system to use LDAP from /etc/passwd? Would I have to rebuild my setup?  Thanks for the insights.

2 REPLIES 2
rsc24_in
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

It would not be that difficult to change the authentication method one you are ready to use LDAP.

SAS Has 3 options for authentication,

1. PW (Which uses the OS Authentication relying on /etc/passwd)

2. PAM

3. LDAP

If you have the connection details for your LDAP server, you can choose LDAP method and update the configuration accordingly.

This method, however requires you to provide the credentials of the SAS Installer account to access LDAP server.

PAM is the most simple and versatile way to authenticate. You can use it to authenticate against LDAP or AD, as long as your OS is configured to authenticate against LDAP or AD. your UNIX admins can setup PAM on the servers and SAS can use PAM.

Here is a SAS Note that can guide you and the unix admins to configure PAM for SAS.

http://support.sas.com/kb/49/432.html

grande
Calcite | Level 5
It is not hard to convert the authentication from /etc/passwd to LDAP. It
requires changes to few files in your SAS Foundation Directory. You can
proceed with /etc/passwd as your authentication.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation