BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jpdimond22
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

I am adding functionality to a research web application that takes data from the user, and then should run a SAS script with that data via the command line (batch mode perhaps?). My web application is on Ubuntu, so unfortunately SAS does not support that. I am thinking that I can make a virtual machine, install SAS on that, and then have my web application run the script to the virtual machine.

Is this possible? Is there any documentation on how to give the SAS command to the virtual machine to run the SAS code?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you just want to run a classic (1980s?) style command line execution of SAS like:

cd my_project_directory
sas my_program

Or a little fancier with options on the command line so perhaps something like:

sas -sysin my_program -log my_project_directory/my_program.log -print my_project_directory/my_program.lst

Then you just need to make an SSH connection to you virtual machine to run the command there.

ssh my_sas_host sas ....

But if you are really building a webapp then you might want to setup a SAS application server (in a VM or somewhere else) and communicate with it instead of using command line.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you just want to run a classic (1980s?) style command line execution of SAS like:

cd my_project_directory
sas my_program

Or a little fancier with options on the command line so perhaps something like:

sas -sysin my_program -log my_project_directory/my_program.log -print my_project_directory/my_program.lst

Then you just need to make an SSH connection to you virtual machine to run the command there.

ssh my_sas_host sas ....

But if you are really building a webapp then you might want to setup a SAS application server (in a VM or somewhere else) and communicate with it instead of using command line.

jpdimond22
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom! Yeah, it is just for a research study, so I think just ssh'ing into the virtual machine is the route for now.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation