BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
danewt
Fluorite | Level 6

I've been looking into SAS use of memory by our systems with an eye toward configuring system options to make better use of system memory. My team supports ~75 SAS users on a 3-tier Unix system with separate hosts for Compute, Metadata, and Mid-tier. I found the paper, "Troubleshoot Your Performance Issues: SAS Technical Support Shows You How" (333-2009), from Global Forum 2009. It's a very useful paper but it's a bit dated now. I'm wondering if there's an update to this paper which reflects system options available in SAS 9.4 as well as optimizing SAS on virtual servers.

I'd appreciate any links to relatively recent advice on configuring SAS running on Unix for a multi-user environment.

Our SAS users are all using SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3 clients running on Win10.

- Dan Williams

6 REPLIES 6
DavidHD
SAS Employee

Hi @danewt ,

there is a revised version of that paper available see here: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings16/SAS6201-2016.pdf

The paper also contains some amazing links to additional resources.

Hope this helps,

David

danewt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks so much, David. This is just what I was looking for.
- Dan
MargaretC
SAS Employee

What "flavor" of UNIX are you running on?  There are several operating system tuning papers on this site:  53873 - Operating System Tuning Papers (sas.com) 

If you are running on Linux, RHEL, then please follow the guidelines on that RHEL tuning guide.

danewt
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks, Margaret. We're using RHEL7. I found the relevant paper. This is exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks for the quick reply.
- Dan
danewt
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Margaret, Our SAS installation is currently running on RHEL7 so the paper on optimizing SAS on RHEL6/7 is very helpful. Our Linux admins plan to upgrade to RHEL8 in the coming months. Do you know if there is an update to the paper that will cover RHEL8? I understand that the paper seems to have been written by Red Hat. Can you point me to the right people at Red Hat to direct this question?

Thanks, Dan

MargaretC
SAS Employee

Dan, 

The paper has not been updated for RHEL 8 yet.  Red Hat is working on it.

For the most part, just follow the same tuning guidelines.

Margaret

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation