BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dwunder
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

Let me first explain that I have very little experience with SAS. I installed and deployed the current 9.4 environment for a department here at Purdue University, but that is the extent of my experience. The department has since communicated their need for printers made available in SAS and furnished me with a list of names and IP addresses that are desired. I have found  "printer Setup" and most of it seems self explanitory, but on step 3 I have some questions. I am assuming that Device Type: is Printer. Is Destination: looking for an IP address? When I try with an IP and finish the installation, I try to print a test page and the output is:

ERROR: Unable to write to broken pipe lp -d10.160.227.107.

NOTE: 65536 bytes written to Ip -d10.160.227.107.

Message(s) received from the pipe command:

Ip: The printer or class does not exist. 

Warning: Pipe was closed with non-zero return status: 1

Thank you in advance for any help.

1 REPLY 1
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you use filename printer on a UNIX system, SAS uses the configured printing backend from the operating system. So you have to make sure that the lp daemon is configured correctly; you may have to supply additional information in the "name" part of the filename statement:

filename printout printer "-dqueue_name";

queue_name would be the name of a configured printing queue.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation