BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Alessandro
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I need an opinion about new "Application Server Context" on SAS Grid environment.

I've an Application Server Context for each department (Risk, Fraud, Miner, Marketing, and so on), but all the Application Server is using the same Object Spawner.

The doubt is:

What is recommended to use in this case, one Object Spawner for each Applicantion Server and more complex issues for to administer or just one Object Spawner for all Application Server ?

Thanks a lot for help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

I stand to be corrected, but my understanding has always been that you have one (1) Obj Spawner per server/host. That's it, simple as that. The use of multiple application server contexts is a different dimension all together. Actually, I've never see a deployment with more than one Obj Spawner per server/host.

Personally, I try and keep to as little application server contexts as posibble, for ease of administration. Unless there is a really compelling reason to create more than one.

The segregation between departments (which I guess is why you have multple application servers) happens more with OS, Metadata and database permissions, which really stand apart from an application server. If you need SAS to run differently between the departments, then yes, multiple application servers might help since you can customise the various components e.g Workspace server, Batch server, etc. Even then, I would think carefully. Try a unified approach as far as you can. Simplicity is always the best. Looking at the names of the departments, I can't really see why they would want SAS to behave differently, but that's just guess work on my part. The more you customise, the more cumbersome the administration. But again, everything has it's pros and cons.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

I stand to be corrected, but my understanding has always been that you have one (1) Obj Spawner per server/host. That's it, simple as that. The use of multiple application server contexts is a different dimension all together. Actually, I've never see a deployment with more than one Obj Spawner per server/host.

Personally, I try and keep to as little application server contexts as posibble, for ease of administration. Unless there is a really compelling reason to create more than one.

The segregation between departments (which I guess is why you have multple application servers) happens more with OS, Metadata and database permissions, which really stand apart from an application server. If you need SAS to run differently between the departments, then yes, multiple application servers might help since you can customise the various components e.g Workspace server, Batch server, etc. Even then, I would think carefully. Try a unified approach as far as you can. Simplicity is always the best. Looking at the names of the departments, I can't really see why they would want SAS to behave differently, but that's just guess work on my part. The more you customise, the more cumbersome the administration. But again, everything has it's pros and cons.

Alessandro
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation